snowblower question I'm sure it's been asked before...

My plow guy raised his price again - 30 bucks every 4-6 inches. I am thinking I want to get a snowblower. I have a small ariens, but it takes forever, since I have to go really slow, and it doesn't shoot the snow very far. If I want to spend about 1500 bucks, what's the best deal out there? I did some googling, and it seems like the hondas are well liked, but damn they are the price of a good used car.

Reply to
mark

Get the one with the most horsepower and the smallest width. It will blow the snow into the nieghbors yard. I have a three year old Troy Bilt 26 inch with 10 hp. It shoots the snow 40 ft in the air . But Troy Bilt got bought out by MTD and they are junk now. I would go for the Ariens if you got the $$'s

Reply to
Randd01

You don't mention where you live how much snow you get what you need to clear etc.. That said I have a Ryobi 10 HP 8" snowblower I purchased for 900 bucks at Costco a couple of years ago. It worked well in our big storm 2 years ago in heavy wet snow. I live in Colorado and that was the last time I needed the snowblower

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Yeah, good point. I live in upstate NY, northwest of saratoga, on a small mountain that gets hammered. Basically, when snow hits the ground for the first time of the season, it sticks and never goes away. Sometimes we get up to 4 feet. By the end of the season, you can' t see my cars from the house because of the stupid plow mounds. They don't fully melt until the end of may sometimes. My driveway is gravel, and about 120-130 feet long, single lane.

Reply to
mark

gravel is tough with a snowblower you have to get the shoes just right if not you will wind up throwing the gravel out along with the snow. I would get a small tractor the snowblower can be raised or lowered easily or you could use a bucket which also takes some skill.

Alternative is the beater truck route with a plow

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Yeah, that was my first thought, but the wife hates that one. Junkers in the yard aren't her favorite thing. I know my buddy's honda has some lever or something that raises the thing up and down. Kinda like the deck on a mower. But his snowblower was about a grand more than I have to spend.

Reply to
mark

Reply to
Robert Barr

and ryobi was bought by mtd some years ago. go with a toro 2 stage. there are dealers everywhre and parts are easy to come by. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

Thanks for the link. I;m thinking of the Ariens 11528. I can get it for

1299. Any opinions? It had electric start, hand warmers (? jeez) and a hefty bite. They also had Hondas there, but the honda was about 2400. Why are the hondas so low in the front. You;d think it would dig a tunnel...
Reply to
mark