Jade plants.

We have a Jade plant (well more of a Jade tree) in our sun room and in the Northeast, the temps in this sun room are likely to fall to not far from the outside temperatures if we don't heat the room.

My question is this, what are the temperature limits for this plant? it seems that it's a member of the succulent family judging from the leaves and trunk so I'd think it wouldn't tolerate temperatures close to freezing. It's a heavy thing with the pot it lives in so I wanted to get an idea of what it can tolerate before I wrestle it inside the house for the winter.

Thanks in advance

Robert

(there are no milk snakes in the jade plant)

Reply to
Robert Chambers

If you are talking about Crasula ovata, the plant I know as Jade plant, they can tolerate temps to 32F for a few hours at least. they grow outside here in So Cal and we get occasional frosts, but not solid freezing.

Reply to
Charles

Reply to
Robert Chambers

I checked my Sunset book to see what they said, the plant can be used outside where it does freeze, but very lightly, like here. when we get frost, it is the cold clear night kind, no real penetration. If you keep the plant above 32F it should be fine.

I wondered if it was cold or long nights that triggered blooming, must be day length. I have blossoms on a couple of mine already.

Reply to
Charles

Reply to
Phisherman

Yes, I believe that it is the length of the day. One of my coworkers keeps a nicely sized specimin at work near a south-facing window, and being an office, the temperatures are pretty constant all year - but it (and the other plants) never fail to follow the seasons because of the light that comes through the window.

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe