Yes...I know... a Jade plant question...

Hi... I have searched your group for a prior answer to this to no avail, so I hope that you can help me out....

I have a gorgeous Jade Plant, which appears to be slowly dying of something. Each day, another stem drops off, and I am quite perplexed as to what it could be. It is planted in good soil, and is watered in accordance with it's care instructions (watered only when dry, etc.). I have other Jade Plants, and they are thriving. However, this one has variegated leaves, if that makes any difference. The leaves are in great shape. No discernable problems there...very fleshy and healthy. They even have new growth appearing. However, the stems appear to be drying out in places, as though the joint cracked (the stems have multiple 'joints') and then allowed that part of the stem to start getting air, and dying. Does this theory hold up? Do you know what is causing this? The plant was doing well before we left on vacation 2 months ago (for 3 weeks). Then, when we returned, this started happening. My hypothesis is that we overwatered the plant before we left, and then the stems became soft from too much water. The weight of the leaves then caused the joints to crack slightly. Does this sound right? What can I do to stop this? Any ideas? Thank You!!

Reply to
ThreeMenFishing

Did it have bugs and somebody sprayed it with an insecticide when you were away?

You are describing the classic signs of malathion poisoning.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Yes, it sounds like the plant got overwatered. It happens to me on at least one plant most winters, even though I think I've stopped overwatering by now. Usually, when I've done it, the stem gets soft and squishy, turns black, then falls apart. If yours are dry, it may mean you have a different problem, or maybe it's just further advanced because you were away.

Make sure the soil is dry, don't water it awhile, cut the stems of the broken pieces back to where they look healthy, and pot them--they will root and make new plants if you can get all the rot out.

Treedweller

And, see if you can arrange for some moving air around the plant until it's fully recovered. Small fan, and one of those timers with the little tabs you pull out for each hour you want it to run. On for an hour, off for two, one for an hour....etc etc.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You didn't read the account very carefully at all, did you?

They never said the stems were soft and mushy, they said the leaves were dropping and the stem segments disarticulating.

Those are signs of malathion poisoning not over watering, you clown. The poisoned joints will not root and the plant will eventually die no matter what you do. The plant's metabolism has been completely screwed up by a chemical poison and the condition is not reversible.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

And, what if the owner says he/she has had the plant for a number of years, and has never applied any chemicals to it? Got another theory ready?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Give the original poster a chance to reply before you get your panties in a wad, Ancien Tangler.

At least I have a theory. That's better than your uninspired guess. Malathion is used in more different kinds of bug sprays than just for houseplants. Its used to control mosquitoes, in roach killers and flea dips too!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Children, Children, Please stop fighting...!! ha ha ha ....(kidding)

Actually, I have never used any insecticide or chemicals, and the plant was unattended during our trip. Also, the leaves are not dropping off... they are VERY healthy looking, and firm. It is the joints that are shriveling up as though they are losing moisture. However, the good news is that once the stem breaks off cleanly at the next healthy joint, new leaves start to sprout almost the next day! So, the plant will survive (I think), but it just keeps getting more sparse.

I will kepp y'all posted... thanks for the help!!!

Reply to
ThreeMenFishing

. . . or the OP did not describe the situation very well, or the "mushy" stage has already passed, or some other problem has developed that none of us has considered. Each of which is just as likely as a poison fairy visiting the house while they were on vacation. Since you mostly answer questions with sarcasm, it wasn't/isn't even clear yet if you believe that's a possibility (see "The Boy Who Cried 'Wolf'").

And if you are right, there is nothing that can be done. If I am right, there may be time to save the plant. So, what the heck, I'll put on my asbestos suit and disagree with the resident bully.

Treedweller

Oh yeah!!

I will be right there in the front row watching you and Chuckie duking it out in a bitch slapping contest!!!

Which one of you will be the first to break down and cry like a little girl?

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........