drilling in walls Idle thought/question

When drilling holes in walls all sorts of gunk comes out (brick dust, plaster dust and/or concrete block dust). Have tried 'crisp bags' taped underneath the hole to collect this dust, not really good enough, and tried the hose from the domestic vacuum, works but cumbersome. Son bought a hand-held vacuum cleaner for cleaning out his car, have tried using that but it doesn't 'suck' satisfactorily. I was wondering if anyone had a full-proof, one person, method for stopping the dust marking the walls?

Reply to
soup

I often use an old envelope taped below the hole; not sure why that's not 'good enough' but if marking is a particular problem you can use wide masking tape to attach it, positioning the tape over the hole position, and then drill *through* the tape to create the hole. Pretty foolproof?

David

Reply to
Lobster

That is the best method I have found when using the small crevice attachment. It's a two person job though one to hold the nozzle with the chamfered face out wards just under the drill and another to do the drilling.

I've got a dust catching thing(*) that slips over the drill as well which is single person but doesn't work as well as the Dust Buster.

(*) =A31 from Tesco IIRC. This looks the little blighter:

Dave Liquorice

It's a lot of money I know but the Dyson handheld vac has serious suction and makes the traditional Dust Buster seem like an infant's toy. The deluxe version comes with a short hose that's surprisingly useful.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I've used the Dyson handheld in someone else's appartment, and it works extremely well, as you say. I've also used a regular Dyson hose at home, and that works very well too. Some of the blocks used on the internal walls of my parents' house seem to be made of something with the staining properties of soot, so it's pretty essential there.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Cinder blocks. I though I'd discovered a coal seam the fist time I drilled into the internal walls here. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Basically because the "stream" of dust/coal/cinder dust/general crap seems to be "thrown" from the hole and some of it goes over the bag. Admitadely 90% of it goes into the bag but 10% ends up streaked down the wall 99% of that can get brushed, carefully, away but there is always a fraction of 1% which stays marking the wall (you can only shift so much furniture [the paintings/photographs are already covering my paper hanging mistakes] :o) ).

Reply to
soup

And water or sparks if you do it properly:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth