Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Filling Cracked Window Ledge
I have an downstairs outside bay window ledge which is cracking up, as they do. It's the common thick and deep concrete wrap-around thing which is cast on site. The cracks range from hairline to a...
4
4

Water Damage to Kitchen Worktop
A leaking kettle has damage the newly installed laminated chipboard worktop in my kitchen. A raised area/blister approx 8 x 3cm and 1mm high has appeared at the butt joint. As you might guess, the...
18
18

measuring rpm 4-stroke 1 cylinder engine - how?
My lawnmower has a single cylinder 4-stroke engine. The ignition is by a magneto. I have a general "auto-engine meter" which can measure lots of parameters of internal combustion engines. The rpm...
5
5

retrofitting a lead tray beneath a shower.
I have to replace a shower tray and am considering putting in a lead tray beneath it. Any advice on how this is best done? Thanks in advance David
2
2

Putting Lead Strips on Windows
Hi We've bought a pack of self adhesive lead strip to stick on our windows to give a leaded glass effect. Can anyone advise us on the usual way to fit the diamond pattern to the window. Should the...
6
6

Miele honeycomb washing machines
I was comparing two Miele washing machines and the only difference between them seems to be that the more expensive model has Miele's honeycomb drum lining. Their claim is that this helps prevent wear...
13
13

Soil pipe through / over joists?
When you need to start with "I know this is probably a stupid question but..." you probably already know the answer. I need to install a new bathroom upstairs which, due to a builder letting us down,...
9
9

Leaving Electrical Sockets Prior to Plastering
How should sockets be left for a plasterer to do his business? These are in dry lines walls and brick walls. Do I leave the sockets off with the wires connected to terminal blocks and insulated or...
4
4

How to knock half-round posts in straight?
How does/can/should one knock half-round fence posts into the ground so they end up vertical? Is there some rule of thumb for the angle one has to start at to end up with a vertical post or what? I'm...
9
9

shower tray
i am starting with a bathroom refurb and have bought an aqualux walk in shower enclosure, the enclosure came with a polystyrene base, in the past ive fitted a stone resin tray which seems to rely on...

Need a notched screwdriver
Could someone please tell me where I might get a notched screwdriver? A kitchen appliance (juicer) has stopped working and I want to take a look inside. The screws are slotted but the middle of the...
10
10

Central heating controller dies
The Potterton mini minder central heating controller has died, how easy is it to rewire a new controller? The controller, pump and boiler etc are all in the garage and therefore the origins of all...
6
6

Lawnmower won't pick up
After 10 years faithful service, my rotary lawnmower has decided that it's had enough of picking up grass. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration as it still picks up 90% of the grass but the remaining...
17
17

what's the cost of beam and block flooring
I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended timber ground floor. Can anyone give an idea of the cost comparison for concrete and timber. I'm only looking at a room size of about 4m...
14
14

Are old Style Velux windows compatible with today's flashing kits?
I was given a 15-year old 114 x 118 GGL velux window that had been sitting in someone's garage boxed for 15 years and have had it just installed. The companion flashing kit outside says it is for...
3
3

Putting a drainage channel in a concrete alleyway
The alleyway between our neighbours house and ours is uneven and water lodges in pools which is causing penetrating damp in a section of our wall. I want to put a drainage channel close to our wall...
3
3

Pop Up Waste Lever Leak
Hi all Just fitting new bathroom pottery and find that there is a leak where the pop up waste lever fits into the basin outlet. The parts excluding vertical actuator rod: rod with fixed plastic ball...
2
2

Ideas please - Triton T80 Shhower
Hi all, I would value your thoughts on the following. I have a Triton T80 shower over the bath. We use the same heat setting all the time. Switch it on and it is ok for awhile then the unit switches...
2
2

floor self levelling compound - water or latex based?
I'm being offered 2 types - water or latex based - by local builders merchants. I'm only familiar with the water based type (a black cement like powder you mix into a stiff mix with water & trowel on...
2
2

Whether to remove a coal fire back-boiler
Opinions please I am having a full new central heating system installed, replacing a traditional system with a condensing-combi boiler. Part of the old system includes a back boiler within a Parkray...
4
4