Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

fixing kingspan to single wall garage
Hi all Is it ok to to fix kingspan insulation boards directly on to the wall without having to use battons, and as these boards have a foil backing on them can i just fix plasterboard straight on to...
7
7

Water Seal Prime Plywood for Tiling
Hi All, I am going to tile my bathroom floor to do that, I have laid 8mm internal grade plywood on suspended wooden floor I now want to prime, water seal the plywood before laying tiles on it. Could...
3
3

Extending a hallway, problems, problems...
Hi all, hope someone can give an opinion or advice on this... in any case it might be a good laugh for you. ;-) (NB "I" refers to me and/or various contractors.) I'm renovating a 1930s semi - where...
4
4

B&D scorpion saw, any good? (2023 Update)
I can get one of these reduced at Argos, but before I buy I would like some opinions on the saw. Regards
23
23

Grill elements for a combination (microwave) oven
Can anyone suggest a source of a heating element for the grill side of a LG branded combined oven/grill/microware - model MC-7826MG.? The wire elements encased in a ceramic(?) tube and are around...

Myson Orion "Boiler" a Real POSER of a problem:-(
Hello I have a real poser of a problem for all Myson Orion experts! My CH/HW system is a conventional fully pumped syatem comprising Myson Orion 40si boliler, pump HSA3 position valve, room stat,...
7
7

Removing scratches from brushed steel chimney hood
Hello We've just had a new kitchen put in and we had a few scratches on our brushed steel extractor chimney hood (not deep, but surface ones that made the surface shiny). The chap fitting it used...
9
9

Running SWA and Cat5 in same conduit?
Hi all, I have course to run around 20meters of 6mm SWA to an outbuilding for power, and want to run CAT5 into it too. I'll probably use 2 pairs of this for telephone, and 2 pairs for computer. Am I...
31
31

Top Entry BS1363 Plug
Is there such a type, where the flex comes out of the top instead of the bottom? If not, which is the best type for turning the lid or modifying to achieve the same? TIA Mike.
17
17

Ageing new pine doors
I want to replace the upstairs white, flat doors with pine ones.. The original idea was to find some old ones, from reclamation yards, etc.. That was until I saw the prices of them!! I haven`t the...
16
16

using creosote - legal?
I remember reading somewhere that the use of creosote for wooden fence preservative is now illegal. Is this true? The neighbours here are using the stuff to "do" their fences again - and of course...
26
26

How Noisy Should My Combi Be ??
I have a worcester 28i Junior installed in my kitchen. The whole system was put in in june this year. The weather is now turning colder so we get to use it at last!!! So we have discovered that we can...
26
26

Is there any point in zoning upstairs & downstairs htg?
I'm trying to decide whether to split the upstairs and downstairs heating circuits into 2 separate zones (in addition to the towel rail zone) or leave them as one; any views on whether it's...
8
8

descaling heat exchanger
How do I descale the heat exchanger on my gas fired central heating system.
9
9

Alternative To Exterior Rendering ? Aquapanel + Artex Hyclad
situation: old coal hole and outside toilet, rear of trad. edwardian red brick terrace. problem: unevenly jointed brickwork, solid but looks terrible, needs either rendering / pebbledashing / rough...
6
6

Combi boiler: descaling secondary heat exchanger...
Hi, My Brittony "Combi 80" combination boiler's secondary heat exchanger seems slightly blocked (presumably with calcium and iron oxide). So I want to remove it and try descaling it. What is a good...
8
8

Fading Brown uPVC Drainpipes
I have some brown uPVC drainpipes and guttering, about 5 years old. they are starting to go a whiteish sort of colour, presumably some kind of oxidation or UV from the sun or something. Anything...
2
2

Moving master telephone socket - what cable to use?
OK, so I know I shouldn't be doing it myself....... What is the cable spec for the incoming cable from outside the house to the master socket inside? It looks like solid 2-core, but past that looks...
15
15

How do you avoid brush marks in water based paint?
I've tried using both International water based Radiator Paint and ICI's Dulux "Realife Tough Satin" in brilliant white. Both are reassuringly white and delightfully smell free, but dry before the...
7
7

Bubbling/Boiling Water in Loft Tank/
The heating is making a racket. It's hard to describe but there's a metallic clanking noise followed by a general racket. This usually happens soon after the system comes on in the morning and then...
11
11