Top Entry BS1363 Plug

Is there such a type, where the flex comes out of the top instead of the bottom? If not, which is the best type for turning the lid or modifying to achieve the same?

TIA Mike.

Reply to
Mike Laine

Hi Mike

Could you not just turn the wall socket upside down ??.

AndyP

Reply to
andy.pevy

By gum!, The obvious staring me in the face. Thanks Andy, I can but others may prefer me not to.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Laine

Compromise - put it on its side!

Reply to
Ric

Oh, getting better. What a super Friday afternoon. Mike

Reply to
Mike Laine

Move it up the wall 5cm?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Plug in a two-way adaptor, then fit your plug in the uppermost adaptor socket. Cable exit is then in line with top of original socket.

Mind you, sticks out a bit... :0(

Reply to
Adrian C

the old MK plugs in the 70s used to have a hole at the top by the earth. Never did know why. Trouble with uing a top hole is the question of cord gripping. Other possibly trouble is it wont be BS1363 any more.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

AIUI it was for an external / extra earthling wire.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I'd say the probability of the plug being pulled out by the cord - either intentionally or by accident - stopped it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd heard that, but it doesnt seem to sit right, because if you used the top hole for an earthling wire a) there would be no cordgrip anywhere b) no plugin appliance needs 2 earth wires going to the mains plug.

I remain forever mystified.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The only time I ever saw these being used was in an RF drive test lab where we had 13A sockets with all the earths disconnected and separate earth terminals. Each 13A plug had a short flying lead with a crimped connector that plugged into the earth terminals. This meant that we could use the test equipment with or without earths by plugging/unplugging the earth leads! Eek!!

The whole caboodle was inside a copper mesh Faraday cage since we were about

20m from the transmitter lab with 750KW broadcast transmitters and 100KW boiling-bath TV transmitters. Happy daze! K
Reply to
Ken

The old 5A and 15A plugs had a similar thing so I suspect that it was a carry-over from that.

The application that I saw it used for a few times was with old valve radios.

A lot of these had two wire connections for the mains, either because they were live chassis or the power went to the mains transformer via a switch - safety standards were presumably different.

Then there would be an earth terminal for RF purposes. People would often run a single wire from there to the top of the plug. Not as good as a proper earth, but better than nothing.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What's a "boiling bath" TV transmitter?

Does this mean water cooling around the output valves with water boiling and turning to steam and removing extra (latent) heat?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Exactly - you obviously should be a transmitter design engineer. The best bit was when the (usually jury-rigged) water feed jammed. Open, and it flooded the lab, closed and the water boiled dry. We had some very strangely shaped valves - and they were made of quartz, so needed to reach quite a temperature before they melted... Of course, the final installations were done properly, with safety cut-outs etc (says he hurriedly, visions of litigious users...)

Ken

It was a guess. I've designed RF stuff in the past, but not at these power levels. Presumably this was 60's - 70's technology?

I'm surprised that they didn't implode....

How was electrical insulation achieved? Use of purified water, or was the cooled part at ground potential anyway?

I remember reading somewhere, that cooling water was also pumped up to the radiating elements of the entennas on higher powered transmitters....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed so, although you'ld be sur[prised at how much of the technology has stayed basically the same in the megawatt world. It's kinda hard to get these little tin semiconductors to pass kilowatts at UHF...

Sometimes they did, but in a strangely gelatinous way. There was rarely the 'pop' of a broken lightbulb, more a 'squish'.

We had a 'distilled' water feed. Interestingly, it came from a large outdoor pond, complete with weed and even ducks... It was a vivid green colour when it poured out of leaking fittings, but our (typically 11KV) systems seemed to be happy with it.

Of course, as you rightly say, wherever possible items that needed to be cooled were as earth potential, but most heat in valves is generated on the anodes and screens by the impact of the electrons, and the anode especially is usually at several kilovolts. These often had a ceramic material providing a heat path between the electrical bits and the water.

Never seen that, although we often passed cooling water through the large coils of copper pipe that formed the tuning inductors of the lower-frequency transmitters. Interesting to think of the Q-damping effect of all that water, but it all seemed to work!

Ken

Well, thanks for all the suggestions, I still haven't found what I really want but you have all given me food for thought and negotiation. Mike

Reply to
Mike Laine