Bath Opinions

Can anyone give me pros and cons of steel vs acrylic baths? The steel ones would appear far better as they won't flex and are no more expensive than the acrylic. Yes they'll be heavier, but there must be more to it than this, I'm just not seeing it.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In article , TheScullster writes

You could start with the huge thread on this very topic that Andy Gabriel started on the 8th of October.

See

, subject "steel baths", sort by date, it's the first. Google mislinks this to an earlier

1999 thread, but it's all there.
Reply to
fred

Steel baths are sturdy and comfortable. Acrylic baths are like lying down in a clingfilm sack with 1/4 tonne of water and hoping it doesn't split. The problem is that you can't get steel baths with lovely shell shapes and dolphins moulded into the ends.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks Fred - should have done the search!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Have you noticed that hotels don't use acrylic baths?

Hah LOL! Oooh mermaids please.

Reply to
Toby

"Christian McArdle" wrote | Steel baths are sturdy and comfortable. Acrylic baths are like lying | down in a clingfilm sack with 1/4 tonne of water and hoping it | doesn't split. The problem is that you can't get steel baths with | lovely shell shapes and dolphins moulded into the ends.

lovely? :-)

I suppose this is down to economics as car makers manage to press quite complicated shapes out of a flat sheet of steel.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Wheas you can get 6mm thick acrylic ones with dolphins moulded into them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's mainly down to their poor resistance to abuse (cigarettes esp). My acrylic bath has been installed for 23 years (dark brown was fashionable once ) and is still fine, but when I installed it I put in more fixings that the mfr recommended.

Reply to
Tony Bryer