Toilet Plumbing Questions

Do modern toilets still accept a low pressure supply? I am replacing a 1970s bathroom and, for some reason, a low pressure supply was laid on to the original toilet, despite having the rising main going straight past.

Also, what are opinions on the new 6 litre flush limitation? Having had a drain block last year, I prefer to stand the cost of slightly higher water usage and send a good slug of water down, particularly where "solid matter" is involved. Has anyone suffered from increased drainage problems due to the reduction in water flow? I believe that all modern toilets have a 6 litre maximum capacity (hence the rather pathetic looking -IMHO -diminutive cisterns). Is this correct?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

As far as I am aware you just need a low pressure insert for the cistern valve: or you just buy a valve for low pressure.

No idea about the 6 litre limit: is this some drought measure ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Gontarek

I've recently fitted a modern toilet with a non-diminutive cistern, although it is preset to the 6 litre mark. It could be adjusted up to the (internal) overflow, but has worked OK.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

The valves are the same. When using high pressure (i.e. mains) a flow restrictor is inserted into the valve. This normally consists of a threaded plastic insert that you screw into the water passage.

Modern toilet pans are designed for the lower water flow. They work just fine (and I'm quite capable of testing them to the limit). Don't fit a 6 litre cistern on an old pan, though, unless you do some testing first, as they might not be reliable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

valve: or you just buy a

Sort of. As 1/3 of most water used is used for flushing, reducing this by

1/3 is desirable. This year rainfall is approx 1/3 down on average, yet no hose pipes bans. OK the water companies fixed many of their leaking pipes, but low water usage appliances have mad a difference.

Using a flap valve it is possible to use 5 litres per flush. Have the cistern in the loft and 4 litres will do.

Reply to
IMM

The pressure of the supply is compensated for by different nozzle/washers in modern filling valves. Disadvantages of having toilet rising main fed are a) can't use it when water is cutoff. b) Lots of condensation on cistern for 5 months of the year when the incoming water is cold. This is esp bad in a steamy bathroom.

All new toilets and refurbs have to flush with 6 litre of water max. Thats been in the building regs for a couple of years at least. You won't be able to buy a new toilet that uses more. I have 2 new type and one of them is quite easy to block if more than a average amount of paper is used. Its such a nuisance that I'm thinking of putting a sign of the door "No solids in the downstairs lavatory please" as in League of Gents :-)

Reply to
BillR

Respectfully beg to disagree. I was contemplating starting a thread on this topic (although not for the queasy) as I have noted that our new and new(ish) toilets do not seem to flush efficiently. I generally have to flush twice to clear all the 'debris' which defeats the object of reducing the cistern size.

My main thought was 'how do they decide how much water should be used, and how do they test it'?

Is there a British Standard Turd (BST)? If so, where is it produced? Also which committee defined it?

Are we now standardising to a Eurocrap?

Can you get an MSc in Advanced Faecal Transmission Science?

The list of questions is (unfortunately) endless :-)

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

I've recently installed a new WC (Doulton) however the water trap tends towards the front of the bowl. It needs brush cleaning and flushing twice to clean it - so much for saving water. Discovered over lunch(!) that all the family have the same problem so I'm now looking for a better design. Does anyone want a second hand (crap design) system?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

There is! Although is been flattened by the european one now. Annex F of BS EN 997 gives details of 'test specimens' Also the ability to flush 20g of fine sawdust spread evenly round the bowl.

From DEFRA - "When tested as described in Clause 11, for the first six flush cycles, or for a minimum of eight out of ten flush cycles, each of the four test specimens shall be completely evacuated from the WC bowl and pan's outlet. The recorded after-flush volume in each flush cycle shall be no less than

40% of the full flush volume."
Reply to
Toby

But you have to take into account the other EU legislation which seeks to reduce waste being created.

From 1st April 2000 all EU citizens are supposed to use one square of toilet tissue to wipe their nether regions, and also to ensure that they defacate 3 times a day so as to ensure that the material being dumped into the toilet is of a quantity that can be safely flushed by the new limit on the cistern.

That way the toilet flushes successfully.

I'm surprised you weren't aware of this EU directive! ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

In days gone by my old man told me the limit was three squares of paper: one up, one down, one to polish!

Mungo :-)

Reply to
Mungo Henning

Jeez. I cannot imagine what a night out on the curry (or Guinness) might have done for me..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Talking of that, are we still on for next week?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes. But although I know how to navigate there I've forgotten the name of the ale house. Can you remind me?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Peter

Funny you should mention this. The pan I am removing is susceptible to the same fouling. It is original 1970's model, so you would have thought that they'd have ironed out these wrinkles in the 30 plus years they've had for R&D!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The only solution is to eat more fibre. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

err....quite the opposite, I think. . . look away if you are squeamish . . . . .

One problem with my low flush system is that a cloud of fibre is left behind after the first flush (indigestibles such as tomato skins etc.)

A low fibre high protein streamlined turd with medium flexibility, which crackles gently when rolled between thumb and forefinger and emits a dull 'thong' when struck with a regulation toffee hammer zips round the bend and leaves no discernable residue.

Curry slurry, on the other hand, requires multiple flushes.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

ROFLMAO !!!!!

Now why didn't I look away when I saw the warning ? :-))

Reply to
BigWallop