New Toilet continually draws water

Hello,

I have just had my MFI toilet fitted, only problem is that it continually draws water into the cistern and into the bowl. That cant be part of the design. It must be wasting a lot of water. This has no overflow pipe. Whats the easiest way to stop this happening before i call the installers back.

Thanks again.

theregistry786

Hello,

I have just had (yesteday) MFI installers put in a new downstairs toilet. Unfortunately i have just realised it is continually drawing water into the cistern and dropping it into the bowl. The toilet does not have any overflow.

What would be the easiest way to stop this (no ball exists) to stop this as it seems do draw a lot of water for no reason. I have contacted the installers to return.

Thanks again. M

Reply to
theregistry786

Sounds like the internal overflow. You say that no ball exists, but there should be a float of some sort that can be adjusted down to keep the water level lower.

Picture?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's pretty certainly the type with an internal overflow - and it's overflowing into the bowl because the level is too high.

There must be a float device of some sort - even if not a conventional ball - to turn off the water when the required level is reached. You should have a device which looks a bit like:

maybe like:
either case the water level can be adjusted by rotating the threaded plastic float hanger, which moves the float up and down relative to the valve's operating point.

If the float is well and truly submerged but *still* doesn't stop the flow, there is something seriously wrong with the valve and it will need to be replaced.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It will have an overflow but it will be an internal one via the syphon and it sends the overflow water back in to the bowl rather than in to an overflow pipe to outside . Check the float level mechanism as it is likely that it isn't shutting off the water .In fact get the fitters back and get them to do it .No point in you doing it to sort what they should be doing . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

Get MFI back to do it right

Reply to
SJP

I posted this to your other mesage .

"It will have an overflow but it will be an internal one via the syphon and it sends the overflow water back in to the bowl rather than in to an overflow pipe to outside . Check the float level mechanism as it is likely that it isn't shutting off the water .In fact get the fitters back and get them to do it .No point in you doing it to sort what they should be doing . Stuart "

Reply to
Stuart B

Further to the other posters, it 'could' be the overflow, or it may be a leaking siphon. I fitted one 2 weeks ago that leaked immediately it was put in. Usually it is a bit of dust/grit on the seal, and it clears after a day, but this one would not stop leaking, so i fitted a new one, which cured the fault immediately. This was a centre push siphon, with a large rubber washer for the seal, when taken apart, there didnt seem to be any fault at all with it. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Always a first possibility.

That's a drop valve, not a syphon. They tend to leak. Syphons don't. They fail to not working or difficult to flush.

Reply to
<me9

As others have said the inlet valve is not cutting off the water supply. Check whether the WC is supplied from the mains or from a tank in the roof (if you have one). If the latter then the inlet valve may be designed for high pressure only (most continental-design cisterns are) and not work properly under low pressure (been there, done that).

Reply to
John Stumbles

Is it a push-button type flush? If so, try removing the button (they screw out) and re-inserting it.

I had this problem with mine and I think the button was casuing the rods on the float to twist and not allow the valve to close properly.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

I have the same problem with a new B&Q bathroom I recently had installed. Strange thing is it doesn't do it all the time, maybe 1 in ten flushes it continues to draw water, I have to flush it again to get it to stop. Mine is a dual push button affair. I think it's something not seating properly after the flush. After a 'successful flush' there is a satisfying clunk sound as presumably a valve is closing off. After a 'bogus flush' there is no clunk. Haven't looked at it yet as I don't have the heart, first time I've had the 'professionals' in and I feel like I've been snagging ever since. Even basic stuff like they forgot to reinstate the earth bonding. Had a moan at B+Q, they just shrugged and said "no one else has complained". Grrrr.

Sorry to hijack your post with my rant....

Reply to
HelpMe