Bargain - B&Q carrier bags only 5p each . . . .

I can't remember even threatening. I know that I was belted by my Dad and it wasn't justified. And it didn't make me 'good'.

I've only had estates since baby son rolled the Moggy - but we've always needed a trailer too.

I don't want to! Well, not more than I do by his going off to the garage to 'work'.

We don't eat those. I admire your taste in dogs though - the only ones I really like.

Wot, really???

You might not want to ...

I will if you will :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

OK. Some commas in the above would be nice, but it appears you are saying:

You have a bag full of carrier bags, which you seem to aquire whether you want them or not, but keep for putting rubbish in. When you pull one out for use you find it full of holes.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Was it a toss up ?

Reply to
raden

Only the occasional one, any which is made from biodegradable plastic and degrades over time. It's absolutely infuriating to the point of saying, "Heckythump!" knowing that I've given precious space to something which is no good or could have been used earlier, had it said in large letters:

"Use me NOW because I'm going to be no good after n weeks!"

Wouldn't you be irritated?

No?

You're not the man I thought you were ... :-)

By the way I acquire them when people give me things in them, such as stones, overgrown courgettes, spinach, string, bones, champagne, eiderdowns ... It would be rude to give back the carriers. Sometimes they're more use than the contents.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

... ..

There you are, you just have done

Reply to
raden

No, I'd be glad it didn't biodegrade while my rubbish was in it! But even if it did, using 2 helps as the chance of them both biodegrading is pretty rare.

Sounds like you have quite a collection, as for the contents why not do some trading? 'Thanks for the stones, please _do_ take some string or overgrown courgettes' I'd expect home produced honey is a fairer swap for champagne or eiderdowns though...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The rubbish isn't in a carrier long enough for it to be a problem, two or three days and it's in the brown bin. It's when it's perforated when I shake it open that I'm frustrated!

I don't really mind the food, some stones, bones and string are useful. Eiderdowns are an embarrassment, as are teapots. It's understandable that folk think we need feeding up but eiderdowns???

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nor me (that I can remember), I was suggesting the 'threat' of knowing you could be smacked is often enough? It's the same with any form of 'punishment' .. it's the threat / thought of the consequences that stops you doing it?

I know that I was belted by my Dad and it

If I was ever 'smacked' by my Dad It was justified. Like leaving his tools out in the rain when I shouldn't have touched them in the first place?

And it didn't make me 'good'.

But it does (has) stopped some kids from running into the road or touching something hot and being badly hurt?

I'm hoping that the trailers will

I had two Moggy Minor vans .. in fact one was my first 4 wheeler (I had the Messerschmitt at the time). Bought it for 15 quid and another fiver for a gearbox from the breakers. Fitted it in the carpark (in the rain and dark) from the TV shop I bought the van from ..

Doh!

Ok, I might not want to share your wasps (or the long drop come to think of it) but some of your old tools / equipment might be interesting? ;-)

There you go .. half way there already!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

These are the examples always given. I honestly don't think that being hit will teach you that something hot hurts. Touching something hot will.

Explaining about running into the road can too - if you're near enough to hit a child you're near enough to hold it back.

Despite the entertaining thread we had here on Banned from B&Q I really can't see why we should do to children what it's illegal to do to adults. All it does, in my observation, is to teach kids that it's OK to hit people.

I'm not a fanatic about this, I just don't think it's necessary and without family - we had five argumentative, robust children in seven years (still just as argumentative and robust) and managed to stay sane and unbruised.

Spouse and I did have different opinions about hitting. He once hit No 1 daughter and smashed his watch and couldn't understand why everyone else fell about laughing ... I think that was the turning point for him.

That's a bit like our story, it came free with a brand new back axle, I think the chap was glad to get rid of it. Unfashionable in those days. It suited me fine. After its demise I preotested that I really needed transport so guilty son bought me a RED Ford Something hatchback. It was OK, but VERY RED and drove like a Dinky toy, and didn't have the presence of the Swarmobile (the Moggy, which had bees and that name in bubble writing, painted all over it (not by me but by O level Art son).

No, I'd like to know, didn't the plastic melt?

I'm a great believer in sharing resources, we always have been the centre of borrowing round here. Spouse was called The Saviour of Chapeltown.. What's the point in everyone having a shredder, for instance?

Now, who has a nice quiet 2200 we could borrow?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mum hit me over the head with a cucumber (at the tea table) .. it broke in half and one half fell into her tea cup and spilled all over the tablecloth .. we laughed .. (she didn't) ;-)

I had the nearside trunion strip out .. I managed to jack it into place, bind it up with some rope (Spanish windlass) and drive the couple of miles home. Also had a half-shaft shear .. ;-(

After its demise I preotested that I really needed transport

Very Combi wagon .. ;-)

No, because I was only using a mag light to heat it .. borrowing round here.

Bowrrowing / lending is fine as long as you give / get everything back? I much prefer to be the one buying the tools and also prefer to do the job for them rather than have them borrow / ruin / loose the gear? ;-(

Spouse was called The Saviour of Chapeltown..

Lycra outfit and that?

What's

There isn't one, as long as you are ok trust your 'private' documents to someone else to shred?

"quiet 2200"? .. fanless 2200Ghz Cpu, 2200W Electric car, K-Tel 2200 quiet honey blender, 2200m long drop ... ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I had that too. Too far from home to push it home ... the cavalry came (Spouse on his motor bike) and fixed it at the roadside.

Then there was the time he fixed a small end (I think) with a hairclip ...

Sigh - they don't make them like that any more ...

Indeed. So if you share the same barn there's no problem :-)

LOL! You haven't seen Spouse have you!

Um.I was thinking of branches ... we only shred paper to use as packing.

You haven't been following the shredding thread have you?

he's mad ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Bless ;-)

Spouses or easily repairable engines? ;-)

True ..;-)

Yes .. ;-)

Ah, a 'chipper' then?

Nope, I (sort of) have a life you know .. ;-)

*Now* she realises!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, the two go together. You have to be able to dignose the fault and know what might fix it and have someone around with a hair clip ...

Not wearing Lycra you haven't!

As you will.

We've spent the afternoon going through the Share and Insurance folders. Have chucked a lot out but still don't know what's what.

They don't use suitable paper for shredding, it's always shiny and thick ... And if I die during the night he still won't know what's due to him. Or even if I die during the day ... Might as well carry on having a life :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote | > Spouse was called The Saviour of Chapeltown.. | > Lycra outfit and that? | LOL! You haven't seen Spouse have you!

Ah, but in his/your younger days ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Neither of us can remember that far back ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I prefer the carrot to big stick approach. Our local Sainsburys had a "reuse month", where the checkout gave you 1p for every bag you filled that wasn't a new one.

It worked too. A lot of people came in with their previously used carrier bags. Happy customers, not grumpy ones who object to being forced to reject a carrier bag by the imposition of a nominal fine.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Our local Co-op Pioneer claims its plastic bags are biodegradable. They are as strong as any other plastic bag for about 4 or 5 uses, then the sweat from your hands makes the handles give way. If you keep them for ages, the whole bag seems to have the strength of toilet paper and then they are no good for anything.

But they are practical to use twice for shopping then use as bin liners to throw out other household rubbish. (Did someone mention blister packs?)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Interesting principle, but I think I'd want at least a pound to make it begin to be attractive.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Blister packs aren't any good for using for household rubbish are they?

I thought we didn't have much rubbish but I've never seen blister pack which could accommodate it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, t'other way round. You need carrier bags to collect the blister packs that are no use to anybody.

It never ceases to amaze me how much bigger the blister packs are than the product that they enclose. And how few hardware products are supplied without a blister pack wrapped round them. They must make up a significant proportion of landfills.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren