Bargain - B&Q carrier bags only 5p each . . . .

Just post them (with contents) through the dog owners letter box and let them re-use them. A polite note like "You dropped this" often helps (to wind them up even more).

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

"fred" wrote | As I did say, I am a bag re-user, I just resent the 'tax' and | the envirospeak BS.

Wouldn't the simplest thing be to flatten and fold all the B&Q bags neatly and take them back for a refund on your next visit? Provided you don't puncture them, they are perfectly suitable for resale.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why not take a thin shopping bag or carrier bag into the store rolled or folded up? At least when you queue up for the checkout they will have some confidence that you haven't bagged anything, rucksacks are a favourite for creating suspicion.

Bear in mind they don't have the best pay or job security, they probably know it's OK but if their boss would be suspicious they feel they should act the same.

If I had really poor service from a DIY store I'd visit somewhere else for my stuff then drop in on the way home. Then I'd parade round the store advertising a bag full of stuff from their rival to the other customers, and buy the cheapest item I could find.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

That depends whether you live downstream of the paper mill's effluent, or in the watershed of some clear-cut piece of Washington state. Paper can be quite a benign material, but it depends how you make it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, I've seen both of them ... :-(

But is plastic ever benign - coming from non-renewable sources at the moment?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd say the chemical plant needed to make plastic might well leave things to be desired too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on your plastic. Polyethylene (every bag) is a low-impact process, as an adjunct to the rest of oil refining. Makes a good fuel afterwards too. OTOH, (U)PVC is vile stuff at both ends of the lifecycle.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If it's long lasting and suitable for the application, yes it is.

For example polythene bottles are excellent for certain applications because of their inertness (can't say inertia can you!). Any sort of bottle has a raw materials cost, for certain applications plastic is best even given that it consumes some oil.

Reply to
usenet

What do you do with fox poo, post it down the fox earth?

Reply to
usenet

Paper doesn't decompose very well in landfill because of the lack of oxygen for the bacteria to breathe

Reply to
raden

Yes I can! Listen: "inershia".

See?

But I know what you mean ... :-)

Any bottle - any item - has less impact on the environment if it's not thrown away after one use.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nor do leaves, They say.

But there are some anaerobic bacteria ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Don't talk to me about fox grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, well, before I learnt this was an 'issue' I answered the 'where do you live' question truthfully (it was how I was brought up ).

I didn't consider that I was allowed to tip at one place 1/2 a mile from my house but not at another place 1/2 mile from my house (but 'over the border')?

When I have been there since I just quote the name of a local (to them) road ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Son has had this problem too. It's ridiculous but the staff aren't to blame, it's the council.

And since they're politicians (of a sort) they'll blind you with science figures and statistics.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , T i m writes

I suppose it comes down to who's rates are paying for it dunnit

Reply to
raden

I'm not sure why one would want to do this but I do like the selective memory some have. The reality of those "high street" shops was that they were _mostly_ manned by surly wretches whose response to any request was "Nah, your the fifth person today wanting them - don't have any - no call for them". The grocers sold a limited range of time expired low quality produce and the bakers sold bread you could sink a battleship with. If the quality of most of them had been half what people fondly think they were they wouldn't all have gone down the drain.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Why ever not?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Don't suppose they can get many shelves in one :-).

Reply to
Peter Parry

In article , Owain writes

Like it :-), but think I'll wait for 29 days & take them back on the 30 day money back promise, 'sorry, they're not what I'm looking for'.

Reply to
fred