AVO 8 Mk 4 ...

I got me a viewer (I actually have Irfan as well, but didn't realise it did these djvu's) and yes, you are quite right, it is the wrong one, even though it appears to be listed as one of the 8's. Anyways, meter is now fixed - see my later post ! :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Indeed it is. I have a hand portable DMM that is now the main workshop workhorse, and I am very easy with it. I also have a bench true RMS 6 digit job that is used fairly rarely. The AVO still gets used where I feel it is the appropriate instrument for the job. I tend to be happier using it around tube circuitry for measuring volts, and I prefer its ohms ranges for measuring semiconductor junctions, even though the DMM has a diode test facility

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It's what you are used to. I started out with an AVO 7 I think it was 500 Ohms per Volt. It certainly had an effect on circuits even in the days before CMOS.

I could turn on transistors and generally interact with circuits using it. Although a tool no doubt aimed at Electrical Engineers it proved a useful diagnostic instrument in an electronics environment.

Oddly enough the AVO eight was potentially more accurate than todays digital afferings. At 20 K to the Volt, The AVO took half the current of the modern DMM.

It was a dashed big needle to shift too.

My gripe with the AVO was that although it was a robust instrument, you could buy around fifteen less robust meters for the same price. Similar accuracy, smaller scale though and at a major price reduction. Plus of course the fact that you could buy batteries to keep the Ohm fires burning at your local newsagent. I seem to recollect tht The AVO needed some kind of battery / inverter replacement when Ever Ready stopped producing their very expensive box of volts.

Incidentally the final AVOs were not robust. They weighed about as much as two of the £12-00 Tandy meters that I used to use at that time.

That was prety light! I zapped a new AVO with one jab at a line output valve topcap. Around 800 V p-p at 15 khz.

I still operate using the same philosophy today. I can pay a hundred or so for a Fluke, or throw £20-00 across the counter at Maplin. Both meters do the same at an acceptable accuracy and both share the same fate when I forget to go from mA to volts when measuring across phases. Both meters also tend to go green & gungy when exposed to liquids. At least I do not feel too bad with a defunct £20-00 Tandy

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

You too, eh? But they are indeed tough beasts; apart from a shaky ohms-adjust pot it's still working 25 years later.

Doubtful if you could do that with a modern DVM and get away with it.

Reply to
Windmill

In article , Windmill writes

The one I measured the mains with was a mid-range ISO-Tech something or other. It blew the internal fuse and worked OK after replacement. But doubt many of the five quid cheapies would survive.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Arfa Daily writes

You can get your own DJVU maker (+viewer) here (and several other interesting things):

Ian Jackson

Can't remember the exact reason why I stopped using Irfanview for DJVU and went back to the original publishers browser pluggin but the most recent download of DJVU certainly works much better than earlier versions.

Reply to
Ian Field

Had that problem with my Taylor meter - I wound a blocking oscillator coil on a small toroid and simply shunted the output with a 30V zener, its connected via a pushbutton to the 1.5V low Ohms battery.

Reply to
Ian Field

My first ever DMM was fished out of the bin where I worked at the time, Ohms & ACV didn't work.

When I opened it there was an OP-AMP in the middle of the PCB - it was sort of easiest to try replacing that and it actually fixed the fault!

The employer very kindly loaned me a recently calibrated instrument and an assortment of adjustable PSUs and resistance decade boxes so I could make the neccessary adjustments to the presets next to the OP-AMP.

I still have it but its been relegated to the shed for occasional automotive work.

Reply to
Ian Field

Not a cheap one maybe. My bench meter is a Keithley 2000 that will take

1KV peak when in resistance mode. Not that I'd do it on purpose, though... :)
Reply to
JW

A Fluke 80 series III or later can survive this - not sure about the original 80 series. I wouldn't do it intentionally just to prove a point, though...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias