Battery Eliminator for AVO 8?

Hi All,

It?s many a year since my AVO 8 saw active service, but I dug it out the other day and would like to start using it again.

But rather than obtaining a 15V battery, I?d like to use a PSU (assuming I have / can find something to give the right bolts, and assuming youse can tell me which way around to connect it (All I see is two metal plates where it should go in the battery compartment (the 1.5V cell is still in place and working after 15 years storage!).

What does the team think?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk formulated on Friday :

I think the usual way to solve it, is a series of button cells made up into a suitable battery.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Batteries are available on Ebay for about six quid inc postage.

you can wire two 9 volt PP3 batteries in series with a 5v zener diode, insulate the metal cases and slide them in sideways between the contacts for the correct battery.

a lot more information)

AVO VC1 eliminator

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

See also this for making a battery

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I have a feeling at least five years ago you could still get those batteries but they were not cheap and some make like saft.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Having had a quick look online, it?s only used for high resistance range. Which I?m not bothered about.

However, I can?t zero the Ohms ranges.

Perhaps the 1.5 V battery is past its best after all.

Reply to
cpvh

It's only a D cell. Not expensive!

I got a 15v battery off eBay, and it works fine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, I will replace the D cell, but as the 15V only seems to do stuff I?m unlikely to be interested in, I will pass on that.

Reply to
cpvh

My thoughts are an AVO which needed a mains supply rather pointless. Given you can buy far more accurate bench top mains powered units for not a lot, if it's only ever going to be used where you can plug it in.

AVO batteries last a long time. The 1.5v cell is cheap. The 15v once can be made up from button cells.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've just put 7 AVOs on a shelf in the lab, 3 upside down as they look better like that as smiley meters :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave