Charging a sick power bank

Hi,

I have a power bank (branded Power Bank).

It used to charge via a surface mount micro USB, but that is now surface unmounted.

I?ve opened the unit up (but not got my DMM on it yet.

It consists of a small pcb (about 1cm2) and a cell / battery (A little bigger than an AA).

Does the team think this could be recharged by connecting a regulated PSU to it? And if so, what voltage It might require?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

Is it NiMH or Li-ion?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why not try and replace/resolder the USB socket? Big Clive has a lot of good videos on soldering on his YouTube channel including surface mounted stuff.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What type of batter is it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One that uses an egg from a battery chicken.

GH

Reply to
Marland

If you can get at the USB 5v input rails and give it 5V, the board should still charge it. I wouldn't charge the lithium cells directly without protection, since they could catch fire.

If the power bank is sufficiently generic you might be able to find a replacement PCB:

or more likely transplant the cells into a new case:
(harder if they're pouch cells than 18650s)

Theo

Reply to
Theo