Cash from bank counter

I can use any of my bank cards in an ATM, irrespective of the bank which owns it, but can I go to the counter and use any other banks card to also withdraw some cash?
On 15/08/2019 08:51, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I suspect not. I have found most banks will only let you take cash out or pay in over the counter if you actually bank with them.
There may be exceptions. ISTR the Post Office is slightly more forgiving if you can be bothered to queue for an hour or two.
Cash machines are becoming increasingly rare in our North Yorkshire towns and villages these days - replaced with empty former banks and crude OSB boarding over the now quite literally hole in the wall.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

There really needs to be a policy of relaxing that rule when a branch of one bank is the only bank in the town. I'm with Natwest and they have closed a lot of branches over the years. When I was living near Leyburn, the nearest one was in Richmond - not a problem if I was over that way to do the shopping at Catterick. Then one day I went in to pay in a cheque and they said "today's our last day". From then on, it meant a 40-mile round trip to Northallerton if I needed to do anything in a branch where they needed to have sight of signed documents etc which couldn't be done by phone or internet.
Does the Post Office actually act as a "virtual branch" of all the various banks, or do you have to create and account with them and transfer money into it from your bank account? When I went to pay in a cheque to my NatWest account via the advertised Post Office service, all they did was give me a NatWest paying-in envelope which they would send to NatWest, rather than actually crediting the money to my account. So there was no advantage in doing it that way.
On Thursday, 15 August 2019 09:18:00 UTC+1, NY wrote:

only up to a point:
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/everydaybanking

Except saving you the cost of posting the cheque yourself.
Owain
On 15/08/2019 09:36, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

You also get a printed receipt as evidence that you've sent it to the bank. Although there's no indication of the actual amount it's a bit more evidence than you get if you just pop an envelope in the post box.
And I assume, and hope, it provides the Post Office branch with a small commission from the bank for providing the service. I also assume the branch gets a commission from the bank when I use my bank card to obtain cash over the counter.

Though if I am there I will often draw some cash anyway. Small village counter in the village shop operation so rarely have to queue for too long except Christmas lead up when some old dear is usually trying to send a parcel of socks to a nephew who is doing voluntary work in some third world country but she can only remember what it used to called in the days of empire.
For a small businesses and others that still accumulate it they also offer a way of paying in cash that could save a considerable round trip to a bank branch. Not having done it I don’t know if there is the same delay in funds reaching the destination account.
GH

I had a very circular conversation with one of our local post office clerks unitl I realised that she was unaware that part of the island of Ireland remained a part of the UK. Makes a big difference to the Parcelforce charges!

--

Roger Hayter

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 09:36:12 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

and having your cheque stolen in the post which has happened twice to me,
Jonathan
Yes it depends and I was told they can no longer handily chip and signature cards or give any more than 300 quid out in cash and then you have to take whatever notes they have. Bah humbug. Brian
--
----- --

I may be a little out of date, as I retired as local postmaster 6 years ago, but then, almost any debit card, including some foreign ones, could be used to withdraw cash at any PO counter, without fee. Cash could also be paid in.
Regarding cheques, yes, they go in an envelope to the bank overnight, usually quicker than ordinary post, no cost (stamp) to the user and a receipt as 'proof of posting' or proof that a cheque has been deposited, although amount not shown, and the receipt just shows an envelope, not how many cheques were inside. The system worked well, with very few going missing, but when an envelope did go missing, it could take a while to get sorted.
--
Graeme

Yes I think it's a case of managing expectations. I'd expected the PO to do the same as a branch: log each cheque and batch them as a transaction that shows up on the statement as of that instant, with the transfer of the paper cheque being a slower process which is why you still have the problem of cheques taking a few days to clear irrevocably and irreversibly. But the PO just act as a forwarding service - though this may be quicker and cheaper than simply posting the cheques and paying-in slip to your bank.
Eventually banks will all implement paying in by photographing the cheque, to avoid having to visit a branch or the PO, or post the cheques to the branch. But then cheques are used less and less: only for birthdays and for paying small traders who don't want the expense of accepting credit/debit cards. I run a small business doing PC support for local people, and I only accept cheques or cash, so I just need to visit a branch every so often to pay these in.

Agreed. When I had the PO I sold stationary as a sideline, and wrote and received quite a lot of cheques. Since retiring, I have written 2 this year, and received none. I'm still behind the times though - I tend to use plastic cards, but my son just waves his phone.
--
Graeme

On 15/08/2019 13:59, Graeme wrote:

I thought the PO had such an appallingly badly tested computer system about 15 years ago it lost transactions and the local PO staff were being acused of theft, when they were blameless.

A very sore point for postmasters (even retired ones) and their staff. Not 15 years ago, either. A major court case is ongoing. I enjoyed running a local PO but dealing with PO Limited was an ongoing nightmare and there was always, and I mean always, the daily worry that, at the end of each day the books would not balance by some huge amount. I had plenty of small discrepancies, and a few larger (hundreds rather than thousands of pounds) but never a major disaster.
--
Graeme

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 17:20:01 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

When I was on a shop till (not a post office) the thousand quid errors were easy to spot - someone rang up £1991.99 instead of £1.99 <depart ment> £1.99 <department> and hadn't kept the slip, and we just had to find them on the audit roll.
Of course with a computerised system you're relying on the computer to reta in an accurate audit trail, which seems to be part of the problem with the Post Office systems.
Owain
On 15/08/2019 16:20, Andrew wrote:

It is still a crock of the proverbial according to our post mistress.
About half the times I am in there the thing is only half working or unable to perform some of its functions or just plain dead in the water. Its a tiny post office kept going only to game the distance to post offices metric. They only have one terminal so when its down that's it.
Our "reliable" rural internet connection doesn't help things either.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 15/08/2019 13:59, Graeme wrote:

You will have to point out that using a smart watch is the modern way to do payments, phones are old hat. .

Doesn't cost you anything to accept money by paypal using the family and friends.
On Thursday, 15 August 2019 09:18:00 UTC+1, NY wrote:

You can pay cheques into the Post Office for most major banks.
Jonathan
Yes and they first tell us blindies that come the new machines they will have head phone sockets so we can use them then the time comes and they remove them. It seems that all the banks now use a company called Link for their machines and nobody knows where the accessible ones actually are any more. A communication break down if ever there was one. I heard a conversation inside the branch of a well known bank which hails from Spain , it went something like. OK I'll be in x place all next week where is the nearest ATM. Sorry sire we do not keep that information Download the Link amp on your mobile and it will probably telll you. I don't have a smart phone. Oh, everyone has one, sorry. Brian
--
----- --