"Repairing" a Lidl Radio Controlled Alarm Clock - long

Daughter purchase a radio controlled alarm clock from Lidl a couple of weeks back but although the clock and alarm function well, the advertised motion sensing alarm cancelling did not work.

She returned it to the shop and a manager opened another box, waited for sync (2 AA batteries supplied in clock), set alarm and tried to cancel without pressing the button but no success with that one either

Daughter brought this second clock to me at the weekend and I dismantled it and found the usual RF clock module with black blob chip but with a second small pcb with another blob and wires to battery, snooze switch, a copper foil strip on the case front and a couple of blue LEDs (which were supposed to come on for 3 seconds on pressing the button - another non-working function).

Examined surface mount component soldering under eyeglass and checked battery voltage. There were 3 wires to the four tags on the battery compartment. Tracing them revealed that the clock module worked off one cell only but the LED/snooze/motion sensor pcb used the full 3 volts - which was absent.

Opened battery container and probed both batteries - ok. Then noticed the second piece of thin transparent plastic that had to be pulled out from between the other cell positive and contact.

Assembly was the reverse....

Reply to
Geo

OK, again, always check the fuel bfore stripping the engine.

Reply to
PeterC

Heh Wife bought a new set of kitchen scales and set them down 'look at that!

I pushed down. went up to half kg and stopped. I pushed harder 'what are you doing, you'll break them'' 'Just trying to see why they wont go over a half kilo' (peer underneath) 'ah, its because you still have the paper packing collar round the stem (rip off with bare fingers) 'YOU ARE BREAKING MY SCALES'.

Sigh.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm, one would have thought something like this would have been in a printed leaflet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes Brian - I thoroughly checked the manual - afterwards - but nothing mentioned. At least the shop staff fell for the same trick.

Reply to
Geo

Ha Ha - love the "afterwards" part of the comment.

When all else fails .....

Al.

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

So presumably there was no LED indication either?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lidl manuals tend to be 1999 pages of safety and disposal instructions and a paragraph about actual operation. Most give up long before finding it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Correct - was beginning to think the advert and box printing were for different model.

Reply to
Geo