Name that connector

Hi All,

I am wanting to connect some thickish flex (think 1.5mm 3 core flex with all 3 cores stripped back an inch and twisted together) to my cars battery.

Well, connect them better anyway.

I am thinking of a terminal that?s like a washer at one end (that I can connect to the bolts On the existing battery terminals), and perhaps chock block type connectors at the other end that I can attach the flex to.

Do such connectors exist (and if so, what term should I google?).

Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

Maybe something like thing? Hugely overpriced though as it?s for car audio nuts. Can?t see any dimensions. Might be worth enquiring if you really want it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't forget that you should also fit a fuse, as close as practical to the battery. There is an inline fuse style that is similar to the terminal that Tim linked to. Again primarily intended for high wattage audio use and expensive, admittedly, but they accept thick cables and do the job. Halfords carry them, at the expected price premium.

Reply to
Lee

One of the best suppliers for this sort of thing (high current fuses, etc.) is beal.org.uk, much more reasonable prices than Halfords et al.

For the original requirement I'd go for a crimped connector with a 'ring' or 'spade' to fit the screw you want to connect to. Beal carry all that sort of thing plus crimp tools at no too silly prices.

Reply to
Chris Green

Breakers for a couple of alternator-battery or starter-battery leads with connectors to fit the battery terminal already attached?

Reply to
Robin

There is a standard insulated crimp connector, available in Halfords or other car accessory shops, that will do this. The right crimp size is a blue one; but if the largest hole available (there is a choice) in the washer part is too small you can use a yellow one and solder rather than crimp it. Perhaps take the insulation off and drill a hole in the side to pass the flex free ends through if you want mechanically sound soldering.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I Might go for your suggestion Chris Green, otherwise, I had just thought I might make the end of the existing flex into a ring connector by forming it by hand, then running it

Reply to
cpvh

Buy the correct car cable and terminals from the likes of Vehicle Wiring Products?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a site worth bookmarking. Wide range of automotive and other stuff.

Reply to
newshound

Are car crimps different to the electrical crimps I use?

It's just that your description seems wrong. ie in the case of insulated crimps the colours only relate to the size of the cable not to the size of the ring.

Reply to
ARW

What I am saying is the biggest sized ring commonly available with a blue crimp may not be big enough for the application. I agree that in principle the two are unrelated.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Fair enough fella:-)

There is nothing more to say.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

You (ARW) are correct, the insulated crimp colours indicate the cable sizes they weill fit. You can get a wide variety of ring sizes (i.e. the size of bolt or stud they will go on) for each of the colours, though you may not see many sizes offered in such as Halfords. I have (for example) blue crimps with 10mm diameter ring.

Reply to
Chris Green

As I noted in my previous comment you can get up to, at least, 10mm rings with red and blue crimps, just go to a decent supplier like Beal.

Reply to
Chris Green

That's useful to know, my experience of them is limited to car shops.

Reply to
Roger Hayter