Soil drain with potential for leaking...

Bog room was stinking at work, turns out there was a blockage but as the pan itself wasn't backing up there's plainly scope for leakage somewhere along the pipework under the floor.
I've unblocked it, it's all running freely, the smell has gone. I can't decide if I can be arsed exploring, there's space issues and much boxing in.
Just wondering what others would do?
You need a motorised endoscope with a very bendy cable! Brian
--
----- --
On 24/01/20 19:31, R D S wrote:

Depends if you are willing to spend a little. What about getting someone in who has CCTV? That could be pushed along the pipes to see if there is anything obvious which could have led to the blockage, and might do again.
--

Jeff

'at work'. Says it all - not your problem, shirley. If it's flushing away OK, and no longer smelling, doubly not your problem.
--

Chris

It is if he is the employer, joyce.
If it's flushing

On 24/01/2020 20:56, Chris Hogg wrote:

Sadly (well, not really I suppose) I own the gaff. While there's no evident problem currently I can't help but be concerned what's going on beneath.
Someone mentioned cameras, I wonder whether to get one next time they are in Aldi/Lidl. and shove it up from the manhole end.
On 25/01/2020 11:44, R D S wrote:

Such cameras are not as easy to use as you might think. It could be that you have a very obvious leak, it might be less obvious. A lot depends on the geometry and materials of construction. Is this a plastic drain or a ceramic one. If plastic, is it running underneath your lowest suspended floor? Hence perhaps leaking on to earth? Or is the building age and construction such that it would be leaking on to a concrete slab. How far is it from the loo to the manhole? Is the manhole within or outside the building? The devil is in the detail.
I don't know where you are but my neighbour runs a speciality drain clearin g service in East and North Yorkshire called 1-2-Clear. They are geared up to investigate and sort out such problems. He's recently dealt with a crack ed underground drain that caused a house to continuously suffer a low level stink of sewage.
On 24/01/2020 19:31, R D S wrote:

Was there water in the bottom of the pan when the stink was detected? Some temporary blockages with toilet paper allow the water in the pan and around the trap to be syphoned out leaving an air passage to the sewer, and hence the stink. Clearing the blockage and re-filling the pan/trap with water is the complete cure.
I once worked in a building where one of the toilet blocks was no longer being used and the water turned off and the door locked. Within a relatively short period there was a faint unpleasant smell throughout the building which got worse as the weeks passed. After much investigation the cause was found to be a absence of water in the bog traps in this disused toilet.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Boxing:-) My daughter once had a flat in Shepherds Bush which suffered from just such pongs. As the elderly leaseholder was reluctant to bring in professionals, I used expanding foam (fireproof) to close off the boxing before it entered the flat.

Vent pipes can *suck* pans dry in very strong winds.

--
Tim Lamb