Leaking bath drain

We have an intermittent problem with the drain from the bath. It seems to be prone to partial blockage which is treatable with bottles of drain unblocker. This is fine for everyday but it means we can't have a bath unless you spend ages draining the water in small bursts. The drain runs the length of the bath in glued plastic pipe which turns down and is inserted into the top of a cast iron drain pipe with silicone sealant around the join. When a bath is emptied water leaks out of this and there is enough it cascades down around the front door immediately underneath.

I can only get drain screw in from the far end of the bath and it seems to balk at the turn down into the iron pipe, it also comes out clean.

Now I could scrape out the silicone and attempt to redo this but what guarantee do I have that it won't still leak? I can't put silicone on silicone but is there anything I can paint on to attempt to seal it? Like roof pitch or something equally messy ;-)

Suggestions please before I go back down into the domain of the spiders...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

I'd remove as much of the silicone as possible, clean off any slimy muck and seal it with Sticks-Like-Sh*t (or a cheaper clone like Toolstation's Stixall).

Reply to
John Stumbles

I haven't encountered that. What is it and where might I get it? I am resigned to having to scrape the stuff out. I am informed I shall be on my lonesome for some of the rest of the week. An ideal time for such operations without being interrupted ;-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Er, it's called Stixall and you buy it from Toolstation

Reply to
John Stumbles