Fitting a new toilet seat

Should have taken 10 minutes, but took over an hour.

The soft-close seat was not closing softly after almost 6 years of use, so I got a replacement. One of the nuts holding the old seat fixing undid fairly easily with the supplied plastic socket. The other one did not. Using a spanner just resulted in the 70mm-long threaded S/S rod turning as well, but the top end of the rod was hidden under the round metal seat fixing on the top of the pan, so I couldn't grip it. A squirt of WD40 on the nut didn't help.

I decided to use a mole wrench to hold the lower end of the rod while trying to turn the nut with the spanner. But I was aware that if I crushed the thread I would not be able to get the nut off the end. But whatever I used as a pad between the wrench teeth and the thread was not strong enough to prevent the rod turning with the nut. In the end I decided to use the wrench without padding, and if the thread was damaged saw off the rod with a Dremel (there was no room to use a hacksaw). I got the nut turning without the rod, but then noticed the rod was slightly out of true. Carefully straightening it allow me to get the nut off somewhat more easily; fortunately the thread hadn't been damaged by the mole wrench.

Of course, all this was done in a most awkward position, and with the knowledge that too much force in the wrong place could lead to an expensive replacement for the pan!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I usually prefer these types of jobs to the awkward fiddly ones.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Luckily I could apply a junior hacksaw to mine.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Run two suitable nuts onto the end of the 70mm-long rod, torque one against the other, then use a spanner or mole grip on them to hold the rod steady while you loosen the original nut at the top of the thread.

Reply to
Spike

Noted for 2026!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

That seems a good solution. Otherwise, would a multi tool do the job?

Reply to
GB

Or slitting disk on Dremel, no point trying to save the old stuff.

Reply to
newshound

Yes been there done that. One might have thought by now a standard easy system that is imune to jamming and bending might be in use the world over.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

If you really want a frustrating job, try replacing the dial cord on a 1970s tuner. Three hands and eyes everywhere seem to be the order of the day. I think they must have originally done it by machine. Bah humbug. Luckily I cannot now see to do such things, but back in the day cos I did one successfully the world and his dog suddenly had broken dial cords. You can still buy it you know! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)