gas range connector - 13/16" actual

The connectors like have on your old flex line were outlawed about 30 years ago. The flare nut on that size of line had threads that were similar to 3/4 pipe threads and people put the flex lines directly onto pipe w/o the proper flare adapter causing major leaks, fires and explosions. I think there was also a smaller size line that would screw onto 1/2 pipe. They had to change the sizes so there is no way to do that. You will have to get a new lline with the proper shutoff and flare adapter for the stove. As to who should do the work, I guess it would depend on your local codes and regulations. You will have to call around. Maybe call the gas co. first and see what they recommend. Sorry I can't help you any more than that. It shouldn't be that major of a job for someone to come out and take care of it for you. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

It goes by the ID of the standard gage straight pipe, not the OD of the pipe or major diameter of the threads.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I'm trying to replace a gas stove in a house from 30+ years ago. We have the stove, and now are struggling with trying to connect it. I tried to replace the old flex hose with a new stainless steel hose, but the connector diameters are off by 1/16" - even with adapters.

The sizes of the connectors are confusing to me, because the "name" is different vs the actual measured diameter. ie - the 1/2" naming is actually measured as 3/4" diameter ???

Here is what I am seeing and measuring as far as real diameters.....

The existing shutoff value with a male thread - that used to be connected to old flex hose OD --> 13/16" (3/4" + 1/16")

The old flex hose - female connectors both ends ID --> 13/16" (3/4" + 1/16")

New stainless steel flex hose ID --> 7/8" (14/16") New screw-in male to male adapters OD --> 3/4" (12/16") 7/8" (14/16")

Suggestions on how to resolve this short term ? Why or where did my 13/16" for the pipe and old stove come from ??

I will be calling (plumber ??, heat/cooling ??, appliance ??) Who's best qual to mess with the black pipe connector ? to rework the end of the black pipe and install a new shutoff with the current threading to match the avail adapters.

tnx - Phil -

Reply to
Phil Schuman

BTW - why does a 3/4" actual diameter connector get called a 1/2" connector ??

Reply to
Phil Schuman