Auto Battery Connection Repair?

Hi,

A "friend" managed to strip the bolt-hole for the positive cable connection. Now it'll no longer tighten sufficiently to allow a firm/reliable connection.

Is there any reasonable and permanent way to fix/correct this?

I"ve tried putting some galv. steel wire into the thread area but it either does no good or makes it too hard to seat the bolt far enough to create surface to surface pressure of the cable to the battery. Using solder instead I seem to have created a sufficiently tight connection to maintain the connection; for now, anyway. Since solder has no "memory" it's sooner or later going to let the connection loosen again; probably sooner in our changeable weather.

Anyone have a better fix? The battery is almost new or I'd just buy another one but it costs an arm and a leg.

HTH,

Twayne

Reply to
Twayne

Blind tap of a slightly larger size. Because it's probably soft metal you can "make" a tap using a file and a bolt. Just file a couple cutting grooves lengthwise in a bolt. I use the corner of a file and angle it so the cutting edge is close to 90deg.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Too Risky. Just use solder, it is lead and the stripped threads were probably also lead.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A helicoil or equivalent or a larger bolt are probably the only viable options. You could fill the stripped hole with lead to redrill and retap, but you'd have a hard time not melting the plastic case in that area.

Reply to
Pete C.

This might be a good time to just get a new battery....

Reply to
Zootal

Ok I'll bite. Why is that "risky"?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

ad area but it

Reply to
RRW

The OP clearly stated it had no posts - only the threaded "side post" connectors. I'd be looking at an oversized bolt for a simple fix. For a better fix, I would, if it was me on MY battery,I'd get a stainless steel bolt the right size and heat it, in place, with my big electric csoldering copper to hot re-form the threads in the lead.

Reply to
clare

What hapens if he/she drills a bit too deep and goes into the cell which leaks acid onto him/her and everything nearby?

Reply to
hrhofmann

My advice didn't include drilling. Usually if you go for a slightly larger bolt you can skip the drilling. And I'm thinking this is a lead alloy which should be easy to tap out to a bigger size.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

A slightly larger bolt is unlikely to fit thru the hole in the battery cable end without drilling that out as well.....You could also fill the hole with JB Weld and screw in a headless bolt and secure the battery cable with a nut or you could go to the auto parts store and buy a conversion kit and convert them to post mounts...HTH......

Reply to
benick

Except the conversion kit depends on that stripped thread.

Reply to
clare

JB weld will not conduct electricity. Check with a battery store for a solution.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

This exact thing was discussed at length just a few weeks ago. Look it up. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

How in the hell did he do that? Don't know his left from his right?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

They put little tiny hex bolt heads on the connectors so you have to use a small socket or wrench and not put too much torque on it. But as usual some lunk heads could screw up an anvil.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

All indications are that the OP of both threads is the same.

Reply to
Bob F

If that is the case, he could have gone to his FLAPS and purchased a Helicoil kit in the appropriate size (5/16 UNC? I think?) and had it fixed weeks ago. But I guess some people don't like the answers they receive...

nate

Reply to
N8N

As I understand it, HTH is internet short hand for "hope that help". As you are the original poster, you'd put "TIA" which is "Thanks, in advance". You're not offering any advice, you're not helping others.

HTH.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We had this same question a couple weeks ago.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon