Outside hose connection repair

It was a DIY project gone bad - I attempted to replace an outside hose connection on my own - a freeze proof type where the stem goes back into the wall. As I was trying to get the broken fitting out, it broke off in the wall and I had to have a plumber come out and finish the work - he had to go in through the inside wall (10x10 hole in the sheetrock in the closet) to get to the fittings, use the torch, etc. The bibb I bought to replace the original connection turned out to be an inch or two too long - HD had different sizes and I bought the wrong size - my mistake - when the plumber did the work (I wasn't home), he used the part I had purchased (I left it by the work site) instead of just using a part that was the correct size. I don't want to have to pay again to have the correct size installed, so I'm willing to live with the connection sticking out from the wall an inch or two too much - live and learn. I still have to repair the interior sheetrock and put some mortar in where the pipe comes out through the brick.

In Dallas, TX, is $184 out of line for this type of job?

Reply to
Texas Yankee

In Raleigh NC I just paid $240 for a frost free hose bib replacement (right size.... he picked it up while on my clock), main water turnoff replaced with new ball valve (helper made a separate trip to pick up) and replace 3 turnoffs under sink. I thought it was a good deal including all labor and parts. Personally I think your plumber should have stopped the repair and gotten the right size hose bib instead of installing the wrong one.

Reply to
Art

I agree - I'll handle subsequent situations different - I'll go over EVERYTHING in minute detail - in advance - ahhh, if only I had paid attention to my Dad when I was growing up - I'd be able to do all this stuff myself - unfortunately, I was out chasing girls - plumbing is, apparently, much more profitable - and usually more rewarding.

Reply to
Texas Yankee

Sounds like a fair price to me. Here in my area of Florida, the minimum 'trip charge' for a good plumber is $100.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Get a small piece of treated 2x4 and cut a notch in it. Put some construction adhesive on the back and glue it to the brick. Put some screws thru the holes in the spigot *that is what they are callled*, and you are done. Notch goes down.

Reply to
spamfree

By the way, for the original poster, frostfree hose bibs need to slant down slightly to drain properly.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Texas Yankee

Reply to
Texas Yankee

The price is OK for a decent job, but that's not what you got. Only a half assed plumber would install the wrong size sill c*ck and leave two inchs sticking out, even if you supplied it. Besides looking like hell, a sill c*ck is supposed to have two screws which fasten it to the outside wall, giving it support so it doesn't move around and possibly break the pipe.

This is why I try to do everything I can myself, so it gets done right. BTW, I wouldn't feel bad about breaking off the old one, it's likely that would have happened with the plumber too. If it were my house, I'd unscrew the one that's there, which should come out easy now, and put the right one in.

Reply to
Chet Hayes