Using recessed clock outlet in back of fridge to save space

I recently renovated my kitchen and had gotten a counter depth fridge. What I've noticed is that it does stick out a little and I noticed that it's because the right angle plug is hitting the back of the fridge. Apparantly, GE fails to inform you that the plug is 1+ inch thick. Plus the outlet, even though it is installed corectly, does stick out of the wall a little. I was thinking of installing a recessed clock outlet so that the plug is recessed to eliminate this problem. Has anyone done this before?

Reply to
Mikepier

Typically counter depth refrigerators have a very small, very specific location where the outlet MUST be installed, where this won't be an issue. A clock outlet won't work with a right angle plug, the recessed area is to small and the plug won't seat all the way into the outlet

Reply to
RBM

Does your user/installation documentation say anything about wall clearance for ventilation?

If not, go for it. I know the water line and valve for my icemaker is in a recessed alcove behind the reefer. The outlet isn't but other than the ventilation issue, I don't know why it can't be.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

Well first off, no where in the installation manual does it say where to put the outlet. In fact the whole rear of the fridge is pretty much flat. There is no recessed area for the outlet. Also as a test, I unplugged the fridge and looped the cord out of the way to test and see if indeed I would gain more room, and I didn't. Apparantly it's not the plug. It's something else. I removed the anti- tip bracket, and still no help. I think perhaps my wall is not level ( bows in towards the fridge at the bottom) and thats why it is sticking out a little. So I guess I'll live with it. Also to answer your question, GE recommends 1/8" on either side clearance, 1/2" rear, and 1" top for ventilation on my particular fridge.

Reply to
Mikepier

When they don't specify, it shouldn't matter. Why not cut open the wall around the outlet and set the outlet back slightly. It's ugly, but hidden

Reply to
RBM

In hindsight that would have been a good idea, but I remember when I was doing the rough electrical work, before I decided what fridge i was going to buy, I went on several manufacturer's websites and looked at the install manuals to get an idea where to mount the outlet, and not one mentioned anything about a specific location or height.

Reply to
Mikepier

Mike,

Why not put the fridge somewhere else on the counter? That way you'll have access to the other jack if this is a duplex box. You have my sympathy since you tried to do it "right" by getting the specs but the manufacturer has let you down and it's time for a plan B.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I can't. It has side panels, with a cabinet on top. It is enclosed. That's why I was trying to get it as far back as possible to make it look "built-in". On one side I am able to barely see with a flashlight and it looked as if the plug was touching the back of the fridge. But as I've said, when i took out the plug and tested it, the fridge still did not go back, so it's not the plug. It sticks out about 1 1/4", enough to see the side of the fridge, which is black. And my fridge is stainless steel on the front.

Reply to
Mikepier

Spray paint the offending black part with a can of 'Chinese Chrome'. RustOleum, Krylon have a number of various levels of 'shiny' metallic to match what you have. It should make the whole thing look much neater. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

How long does shiny paint stay shiny. I thought it turned to grey after a year or so.

My wall bows in in the middle horizontally. I really never notice it but I'm going to fix it anyhow when I replace the counter.

If the wall sticks out at the bottom, why not cut out that part of the wall, and then put it back right. I'd be surprised if the 2x4's stick out, but if worst comes to worst, you can plane or chisel them down, then nail back the same piece of sheetrock. I think more likely the somehow didn't get the sheet rock all the way back to the two x fours. Maybe just cut out the bottom inch or half innch and pry out the nails at the bottom foot or two and there will be room for the sheet rock to stop bowing. Then nail it back to the studs. Or whatever seems right when you look at it.

Reply to
mm