Arise, Sir Muttonchops

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:54:57 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

You were always picked last for footy as a kid, weren't you.
--
davethedave

Yes, and what of that? BTW, I should have said " ... boring to watch - although might be fun to participate."
--
Tim

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 19:46:34 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Since the dawn of mankind we have been in competition. First there was the who can bring home the biggest dead animal contest between cavemen. This was a contest that involved skill, physical endurance, endless practice and a bit of luck on the day.
Televised sport has brought this battle for dominance into a much wider array of forms. Cycling (or competetive chemistry if you wish) is a wide array of differing disciples. But is not strictly a strongest man wins thing. Tactics play a part in the outcome as much as the sheer bloody minded refusal to give up on ridiculously long climbs and the balls of steel on the high speed descents.
You as the viewer can have the pleasure of sitting in your comfy armchair saying "You fool you broke to early!"
Superbikes is similar. A high powered vicious machine both wrestled and finessed at the same time to operate it. Travelling at speeds in excess of brown trousers where tactics, planning, engineering and huge nuts all come together in a blaze of speed and noise on a TV for our vicarious pleasure. The TV does not convey the speed well.
If you cannot find any single thing to appreciate among the years old battles of men for dominance at sport, be it mammoth hunting or biking then I strongly suggest you take up knitting...
Oh! Hang on that uses wool removed (probably competetively) from a sheep.
--
davethedave

On 20/12/2012 20:04, davethedave wrote:

<http://www.goldenshears.co.nz/
HTH
Andy

[snip]
Did I say I dislike all sport? No, I didn't. I dislike sports which are "races". See above where I state that clearly.
Stuff like tennis, cricket, footy, and rugby are *much* better because they are much better *spectator* sports. Geddit?
--
Tim

Have you any idea how many people watch the Tour go by? Just a single stage (one of the 22) has been known to bring out a million people.
On 21/12/12 07:57, Bob Martin wrote:

X factor on wheels?
--
Ineptocracy

That's a matter of indifference to me.
--
Tim

Bob Martin wrote:

Well part of that that will be in Yorkshire in 2014.
--
Adam

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 22:28:32 +0000, Tim Streater

I enjoy almost all sorts of race events, both to watch and compete in

Conversely, I find all of the above very boring indeed, with the exception of rugby.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
On 22/12/12 15:08, Champ wrote:

I like rugby, because it has genuine courage, skill, physical fortitude and strategy in it.
I dislike football because it seems to lack them, although it shouldn't.
I like cricket because beyond the simple act of bashing the ball and getting runs there is an immense subtlety to the strategy.
I like formula one, not because the sight of cars going one behind each other is exciting, but because the reason why they are in the positions they are - a mix of technical and human reasons, is far more fascinating than the actual race.
I like watching golf, because its pleasant and green, and soothing. Occasionally something happens that is of interest. But mostly its just wallpaper. Ditto snooker and bowls..
I dislike darts because there is no green in it.
I like watching downhill ski racing because you are guaranteed to see some spectacular pile ups. Apart from that its dead boring really.
All gymnastics and athletics are boring. They all do the same thing and one person does it marginally better than the rest and gets a massive sponsorship deal. Its a very inefficient way of establishing financial inequality.
I quite like sailing..there's a bit of low cunning and intellectual skill in that. You don't need to be simply an aerobic beefcake.
I like watching sheepdog trials. Lots of green in it, and its so niche that the commentators do it for the love of it, and so do the competitors.
--
Ineptocracy

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What about the doubles, triples and the bull? They are green.
--
Adam

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote:

Nonsense.
Outer bull, double/triple 1, double/triple 4, double/triple 6, etc.
--
ogden

+1 works well on radio because it's interesting even if you can't see what's happening.

+1 though slalom is a little more interesting.

--
djc

+1
There is skill, although the participants ... 'nuff sed.

+1
0
Yeah, I'll go for that.

Along with cross-country skiing.

Yep, yep.

What, as a spectator sport, you mean?

+1
--
Tim

Champ wrote:

Including rugby. although cricket is a nice day out but that's very little to do with the game.
--
Simon

At one time, cricket was popular with alcoholics because you could drink all day while the pubs closed. Has anything changed since then?
--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

The only change is that you cn't take as much beer in with you so you have to pay the inflated prices that the ground choose to charge. Apart from that it's still a good day out drinking in the sun.

Cricket is a nice way to add a visual element to Test Match Special.
--
ogden on tour

Not only visual: when at a ground you get to hear the crowd sledging the players. Especially amusing when a bunch of Welsh pissheads are annoying a portly Shane Warne during a 50 over match between Glamorgan & Hampshire. TMS or TV rarely transmit such banter.