Wooden Knitting Needles

After a DAGS, SWMBO bought some needles from this place in Nova Scotia:

is happy with them.

She's also looking for alternate sources, perhaps someone who doesn't advertise on the web. Is there anyone here who does that kind of work or knows of someone who does? You can respond here or email.

TIA

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Um... Some hardwood dowel and a pencil sharpener?

Seriously...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

AFARC, needles are tough, due to the exact sizing needed. I've done a couple more my SWMBO, but they were difficult to get to the exact size she wanted

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

A quick Google search of "wooden knitting needles" gave not only a lot of ready resources, but plenty of actual choices.

They're cheap, too.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I should have done my own research. I hadn't done it, but she had tried, and came up with very few - at least in Canada. But you're right, even a Youtube video on how to make them.

Thanks Robert.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

I figured there was a skill involved, and my skills with the lathe are pretty rudimentary. I didn't know about the size thing.

Dave suggested dowels and a pencil sharpener. I guess that falls into the same thing of sizing, tho. But it's sure an easy alternative.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Last night I saw a package of bamboo skewers at Walmart. They were about 14" long and pointed. I guess you could put your own counter weight on the non-pointy end...

Package of 100: $1.00.

Complain about Chinese products all you want, but I figure they know how to make hand-held sticks.

Reply to
HeyBub

Bit skinny for knitting needles, though, aren't they?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have no idea. I'm a lover, not a knitter.

But you could make a dandy rubber-band crossbow for them.

Reply to
HeyBub

LOL. I'll tell her that. The other issue that she told me just now is that US and UK suppliers won't ship to Canada.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Maybe she could knit one of these:

Pic

HeyBub

but then there would be arguments as to who gets to wear it. One would want it for fashion and the other would want it for warmth.

I can just envision someone wearing one of those at a lingerie show ~ a unisex garment usable by both sexes.

Reply to
Upscale

You guys kill me. Where on earth do you come up with this stuff?

I have to save this one for the right occasion... unlikely as it is, you never know...

Reply to
Jack Stein

> You guys kill me. Where on earth do you come up with this stuff? >

Start with:

and follow the links to companion sights:

and

HeyBub

Apparently the performers wear these In Sasha Baron's new Bruno movie, don't know. the blogger could be off base too. I will keep tabs on this now that you brought it up because it is interesting

mk5000

"yours is no disgrace death defying mutilated armies scatter the earth crawling out of dirty holes their morals their morals disappear. Yesterday the morning came a smile upon your face"--yours no disgrace, yes

Reply to
marika

I don't think that work for me

So he is not always accurate--he made it seem like it was for all of us

mk5000

we have the same intrigue as a court of kings ah leave it ah leave it dit dit dit"--yes

Reply to
marika

Tell the guy to get a roll of quarters

mk5000

"Im moving through some changes Ill never be the same Something you did touched me Theres no one else to blame'-yes

Reply to
marika

Global Warming to Speed Up as Carbon Levels Show Sharp Rise By Geoffrey Lean The Independent UK

Sunday 15 January 2006

Global warming is set to accelerate alarmingly because of a sharp jump in the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Preliminary figures, exclusively obtained by The Independent on Sunday, show that levels of the gas - the main cause of climate change - have risen abruptly in the past four years. Scientists fear that warming is entering a new phase, and may accelerate further.

But a summit of the most polluting countries, convened by the Bush administration, last week refused to set targets for reducing their carbon dioxide emissions. Set up in competition to the Kyoto Protocol, the summit, held in Sydney and attended by Australia, China, India, Japan and South Korea as well as the United States, instead pledged to develop cleaner technologies - which some experts believe will not arrive in time.

The climb in carbon dioxide content showed up in readings from the US government's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, taken at the summit of Mauna Loa, Hawaii. The measurements have been taken regularly since 1958 in the 11,400ft peak's pristine conditions, 2,000 miles from the nearest landmass and protected by unusual climatic conditions from the pollution of Hawaii, two miles below.

Through most of the past half-century, levels of the gas rose by an average of 1.3 parts per million a year; in the late 1990s, this figure rose to 1.6 ppm, and again to 2ppm in 2002 and 2003. But unpublished figures for the first 10 months of this year show a rise of 2.2ppm.

Scientists believe this may be the first evidence that climate change is starting to produce itself, as rising temperatures so alter natural systems that the Earth itself releases more gas, driving the thermometer ever higher.

Reply to
marika

What a bunch of hokum. The summit is above (and is a part of) an active volcano that is building a new island. It is producing massive amounts of CO2 and other complex chemical mixes. And the latest jump is the Big island is moving away from the the hot spot. Island making in the process. The next in a large series from before or the time of Midway.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn