Edible or not?

I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet says they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would definitely like a second opinion about that. I found this webpage with some information about that.

the photo of the ones in my garden is here:
for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

Morels are the easiest mushroom to properly identify, and yes, they can sometimes be found growing in a back yard. Your mushrooms do, indeed, look like edible morels, but a full ID would require looking at the stem and cutting one in half.

True morels have hollow stems that connect directly to the cap.

False morels either do not have hollow stems or the cap hangs down over the stem.

Check out these links:

couple of years back we had a prolonged cool, wet spring and a couple of dead or dying fruit trees in the back yard, which resulted in a spectacular crop of extremely delicious morels.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Those are indeed morels, but it would seem to be the wrong time of year for them in CA. My hunting partners & I have picked over 2000 this year. The ones you have are probably Morchella esculenta, although that name may be in error as they are a European species. We are rapidly discovering that many of the N. American fungi that were given European names are not the same mushroom.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Also be aware that fungi can concentrate poisons, heavy metals in particular. If your garden is treated heavily with chemicals, I wouldn't advise eating them.

Reply to
Steve Peek

If you are near a University, you might check to see if the mycologist would look at them, that will be as good as second opinions get.

Reply to
Billy

Here is the mushroom sliced open.

looks like the good, hollow kind, right?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

Don't be a fool. Take it to Cal Poly.

Reply to
Billy

My favorite is hunting Morel mushrooms. They only grow in the spring, from about mid March to mid May, and they are a wonderful treat that can be cooked in a number of different ways and make the perfect side dish or topper for most meals. Morels have a wonderful strong flavor that cannot be compared with any other food, whether fungal or not. After cleaning and slicing each mushroom it is time to cook them. There are many recipes and preferred methods for doing this. Among my favorites is to either sautee' them in butter, salt, pepper and garlic. Or the most common way to cook them is to batter and fry them.

Reply to
allen73

internet

would

do,

down

Looks a little "off" to me. I wouldn't eat it unless I'd had it verified by an expert. The top is too small and the base is a bit too filled in.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Don't be a fool, it's a clump of morels!!!!! I've been picking them for over

40 years, I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!!!!!
Reply to
Steve Peek

That's exactly right, the problem is that that one is too far past its' prime to be a good edible. Slice them all and dehydrate them. Once you get your "positive" ID you can eat them.

Reply to
Steve Peek

You'd bet his life on it? He is 18 min. from Cuesta College, and 25 min. from UC Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. Seems a small price for an expert's opinion, who would be in the presence of the mushroom, rather than someone who is simply looking at a picture of it.

This isn't about your pride. Mushroom pickers die every year from mistaken identity. Why shouldn't David avail himself of the very best best advice?

Reply to
Billy

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the colleges a call and see what help they can offer.

Reply to
David Farber

Of course one should avail themselves of the best advise available, always. There is ABSOLUTELY no other fungus that looks like that. Some are close, but not like that. I've been picking them for over 40 years! Would you like to wager that I'm wrong? I can't bet my life on it (I'm on the other coast) but I'll cover anything up to a million or so (US, in cash of course).

Reply to
Steve Peek

I called Cal Poly. They didn't express an interest in investigating the issue. They referred me to the local volunteer, master gardener program. It's a program run by UC Davis. The volunteer told me to e-mail the picture to them. I asked about bringing in a sample but I was told that they don't do any scientific analysis.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

"Of course one should avail themselves of the best advise available, always."

That is what I said.

Reply to
Billy

From stuff I read and all the utubes online, I would not be afraid to try them without going to the trouble of seeking out local experts first.

Reply to
Frank

Contact some of these folks, they won't need to see anything other than the photos:

couple of these are Ca mushroom clubs, others are links to many dozens of mushrooms clubs in N. American. Send the photos to ANY of them and they will confirm what I say.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

Reply to
Steve Peek

You bloody fool, you have no idea of my level of expertise. Of course there is no response to my wager. I can't believe the phobias that exist for wild foods! If they were packaged on a styrofoam tray and wrapped in plastic and priced @ $30. per pound would you believe? I get $20.-$35. per pound from the local restaurants anytime I have more than I can eat. I haven't poisoned anyone in 40 years or so (read never).

Reply to
Steve Peek

Your ego is certainly larger than mine. I have little expertise with mushrooms other than hunting boletus, and chanterelles at Salt Point in Sonoma County. The fact remains that I don't know you, and have nothing to base your expertise on, other than your word. All things being equal, I'd rather risk my organism with someone who has a doctorate in mycology. What part of that don't you understand?

It seems we have gone way beyond a discussion. The floor is all yours.

Reply to
Billy