New car cheaper than used

As a follow up on a recent truck buying thread, I got this in my mail this morning

New Cars May Be Less Expensive Than Used, Says Edmunds

By Edmunds.com | Last updated Aug 12, 2011, 9:58 am

In tough economic times it makes sense to maximize every dollar. In terms of car buying, that suggests buying a clean used car instead of springing for the shiny new one. But is buying a used car always cheaper than buying a new vehicle? In most typical economic climates, the answer is a resounding "yes." However, the current economic climate is anything but typical. In fact, the deals on some new cars are so generous they actually make a new car less expensive than both a one-year-old used and certified pre-owned version of the same model.

To illustrate this point, Edmunds.com compared the vehicles' True Market Value® transaction prices and the interest payments typically made for each vehicle. Because used/certified pre-owned cars are generally financed at a higher rate than new cars, a shopper can actually save money by purchasing a new vehicle instead of a used version in some cases.

Since new vehicles have inherent advantages over used vehicles, we also looked at vehicles whose total payment costs for new and used were similar and have included them in our analysis. Below is a list of new vehicles that are either less expensive or nearly the same to buy when compared to their average one-year-old used counterparts:*

See New Vehicles Cost vs. CPO Vehicle Cost

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I found new cars cheaper than used for my last 4 cars-- 1984, 1995,

2001 & 2010. The 2001 was 'sorta' used as it was a salesman's car. it had almost 10K on it - but came with all the *new* warranties, etc. [and now it has 130K on it and is probably good for another 5-6 years or so]

My wife's 2010 Focus had 1% financing-- and books now for more than she paid for it.

The list is here-

I don't think this is a particularly new phenomenon. I stumbled on it in 1984-- but I've checked prices each time I've bought since then & have always found it to be true. Part of that may be that I like to buy when the economy isn't doing that well- and I usually buy in the fall when salesmen are looking for Christmas money---

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Fail.

Why don't they compare the full-purchase cash price - no interest payments involved.

Reply to
Home Guy

Probably because most people finance cars. I agree it's hard to compare based on some True Market Value (TM!) BS. The tables they present doesn't even really support their own contention. A new car may sell for less than a used one for a lot of reasons, some of them not good ones, like no one likes the car! But if the big deal is lower finance rates than before, that means nothing to the all cash buyer.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Because "cash" sales are a vanishingly small percentage of all sales. Very few people can come up with dthat much cash.

Also, as the article pointed out, the 'savings' on buying new depend on getting a better deal on the finance charges.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Paying cash is usually foolish these days. The dealer won't give you a break for it because they make money from Ford/GM/whoever for the financing. And if you time your buying the rates are less than what you could make in a secure account of some sort. My last 4 new car loans in the last 27 tears were; 0%, 2%, 1% & 3%.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

"Robert Green" wrote

I have sold cars for a couple of years in my life. Most sellers and dealers do not want to sell a car for cash. They want all the "back end". The profit in numbers from the sale of a car based on the agreed final price is the "front end". The interest and upsells and warranties are the "back end".

Dealerships deal in numbers, and none are going to pass up a sale. But you notice that they are much more interested in selling someone and financing them and making baskets of cash than a cash deal.

As for me, I'll continue to buy two to three year old cars with low miles from distressed individuals and estates. Let them take the beating on the huge depreciation within the first three years.

I have never financed a car in my life, and I am 62 years old.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

This "depreciation" is a very over hyped concept. For those of us who lack egos, don't get a new vehicle every couple years to "keep up with the Jones's", maintain our vehicles and keep them until they are "used up", there is no such thing as "depreciation".

Reply to
Pete C.

Who is approxemately 1 in 100, at best - even for a used car.

Reply to
clare

This coming from the UK where everyone is so far in hock that their great-great-grandchildren won't be able to pay it off... HA!

Fact of the matter is that America being in the shit is what's causing this, not the other way 'round. Everything is so goddamn expensive you got no cash left at the end of the day to save up for a car, then the car takes a shit, and you're forced to finance the next car which puts you even further in the hole with every paycheck.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Far more than you think. Especially when you consider the buyers that may finance, but do so with someone other than the dealer. Effectively the dealer sees a cash sale.

Every time I've run the numbers, the value of a cash rebate has far exceeded the net savings from a dealer finance.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Rainy day savings. You have to do that if you want to always get to work and not finance. I did finance 2 cars early on, so I know that doesn't always work out. Used cars. One for $1200, another for $6000. But you gots to get to work. You can always get a "decent" used car without getting in too deep. If you select right. There's the rub.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Upsells and warranties can still be applied to a cash sale. So that aspect of your cash-vs-finance argument is wrong.

No, I don't "notice" if dealers are much more interested in financing vs cash.

It's true that almost all new-car advertizing is slanted towards what your payments would be (indicating a financed purchase) but that's probably because the vast majority of potential customers can't afford to pay cash-up-front.

If the industry is geared (through their advertizing) to selling their product on a purchase plan, it may not be because they like to run a financing operation - it might be because that's the only way most people can actually acquire the product.

As for me, I'll buy new (with cash) and keep them 10 to 15 years and drive them into the ground. But at least I'll get the exact car I want, the exact color, option package, etc. You - you have no such choice. You're lucky if you don't end up buying a car that sat 2 weeks half under water .

Reply to
Home Guy

Most people finance so that is a factor to consider. New cars often have better rates than used making the difference more pronounced. Lat car I bought was the same price for cash or for the 0% financing. At that rate, no reason to lay out all that cash at one time when it can be getting a dismal return in the bank.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Arrgh- this bit where Tbird replies direct even when I thought I clicked group, is almost enough to drive me back to Outlook Express....

Shrug. I buy used, pay cash, and always have a spare one on hand. One craps out, I drive the other until I get the first one repaired or replaced. Never had a car payment in my life, and never plan to. I've got nobody to impress. As long as it is anvil-reliable, gets tolerable MPG, and isn't physically painful to drive, I'm not too fussy. I'm on year 3 with the 6 YO go-to-work minivan, and year 8 with the 12 YO mainly-used-for-road-trips high-mpg compact. Fingers crossed, I'll get at least another 5 years out of both of them.

Reply to
aemeijers

That's called "opportunity cost".

Reply to
clare

Year ten on 16 year old V6 Mistyque and year 4 on 10 year old PT Cruiser. Mystique is the Wife's car, shared by eldest daughter when she is home.

I buy 5 or 6 years old, for $5k to $6k and never have a "car loan" although I generally have a line of credit running, so some interest does get involved - but it's cheaper (usually) than cashing investments.

Reply to
clare

Umn. I'm sorry. You failed to state your experience as a salesman or dealership worker that gives you all this wonderful information. I have inside experience working in car dealerships, and enough mechanical experience to evaluate a used car. Even with the new CarFax system, it is becoming easier to vett a car these days. And then there's plain visual inspection, but that's for people who have that experience and don't just buy things on the salesman's say-so. Hundreds of cars have been sold as new from dealerships that sat out hurricanes while up to their door handles in water. It happens today despite mountains of regulations and prohibitions. But hey, when one blindly trusts the dealership, and just HAS to have that color, they got you by the short hairs. As for me, I'll take a $10,000 price break, and learn to live with the color. And lest not we forget about the warranty using dealer items............

Steve

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote

How reliable is Carfax? If you have a dealer or perhaps a major shop do your work, it may show a nice paper trail of good service. But if you change your oil every 500 miles and new hand polished spark plugs every month and do the work your self, nothing shows up. Now would the car that has lots of dealer service reported, but that major transmission problem while on vacation patched up by a small shop is passed by. Still seems like a crap shoot.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

CarFax is only an indicator. If the CarFax is bad - RUN. If it is good LOOK.

Reply to
clare