Arise, Sir Muttonchops

I suppose it depends how you regard 'sporting performance'. To me, it's when a sportsman captures the public imagination by doing something remarkable - it's not really about how gruelling or difficult the event is. So I'm going to say Ian Botham, Headingley, 1981 is right up there. Anyway, Wiggins probably only won because all the others had to stop taking drugs :p
--
Rick Brown
Sprint RS, R100RT

Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, 1924 Olympics runners (Chariots of Fire), sailors, boxers, etc?

Motor racing has been particularly ill-served. Moss got his K in 2000, *triple* champion JYS got his in 2001, 30 years after he retired. Graham Hill - double world champ, Indy 500 winner, Le Mans 24 Hour winner - here's an OBE, now fuck off. Jim Clark - same. The only other driver to be knighted is Jack Brabham, which has to be seen partly as a political move to keep the Aussies on the side of the monarchy.
-- Halmyre

Ellen MacArthur - fastest solo circumnavigation

Another yawn.
--
Tim

On 21/12/2012 14:36, Tim Streater wrote:

Well it would be, wouldn't it? It is one of the small-ish proportion of sports events during which the competitors actually sleep - and not between stages or whatever.
--
Rod

Annabel Chong ?
well, she has an british passport
--
geoff

On 20/12/2012 00:10, Champ wrote:

Oi, you're the guy that got my domain ;)
Besides which... I think Ben Ainslie's medals at 5 successive Olympics (the last 4 gold) should have been worth a mention. It appears the public at large disagree with me. Still, first British TdF winner for ... ever? at least make him a worthy contender, unlike some past winners of the BBC SP thing.
Andy

Hah! Sorry about that. (not really...)
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

+1
(Mind -- the person who said that was (Sir) Chris Hoy, soon after his getting his Gold this year. Nonetheless: he's right IMO.)
On 21/12/2012 10:15, Another John wrote:

critcher said................     IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PERSONALITY AWARD !!!!!!

SPOTY is, but we're talking about a knighthood.
Tim

Quite so - I think Tommy Simpson would have clinched it if it weren't for those pesky amphetamines.

Until next year when his team mate wins it. I think his clutch of Olympic medals may have something to do with him winning an award just as much as winning the Tour.
If you want to rank Wiggins alongside Brailsford I think Brailsford has actually achieved more and will probably go down as one of our best ever coaches but sooner or later someone will surpass him.

To be the first British rider to win a 100 year old sporting event, widely regarded as the toughest there is, clean?
--
GSX-R1000 K8

Especially as tour cycling is a team event and, now more than ever, the team leader is paced to the win by his team mates. The eventually winner isn't always the best cyclist, but the one who keeps the best team around him (which can sometimes be down to luck).
(and FWIW triathlon's going the same way!)
tim

... and boring as all get out.Leave this to the dweebs on uk.rec.push-bikes or whatever it's called.
--
Tim

Tim Streater wrote:

If you think the Tour de France and Tour of Britain were/are boring your brain died decades ago. There are long straight boring stages but in the twisties, hillclimbs and 10k to the finish line it's nearly as good as Superbike.
--
Hog

But that's boring too.
--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Anything which is a "race" (swimming, running, any flavour of biking, F1) is boring.
--
Tim