Arise, Sir Muttonchops

http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wiggins-brailsford-and-storey-set-lead-sporting-figures-new-years-honour-list
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wiggins-brailsford-and-storey-set-lead-sporting-figures-new-years-honour-list
Perhaps he will have the fortitude to tell 'er where to shove it.
--
Hog

Hog. wrote:

Danny Boyle already has.
--
ogden

990SMT - bouncy orange tractor

http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wiggins-brailsford-and-storey-set-lead-sporting-figures-new-years-honour-list
Personally, I think that it's completely wrong for sportsmen to be given a knighthood whilst they are still competing. It should be given for their (sporting) lifetime achievements on retirement, not just for the result of one or two events
Yes, I know that the precedence has already been set
tim

Some sportsmen and women deserve knighthoods, but they are very few and far between, I can think of maybe four in the past two decades.
A knighood is worth f*ck all nowadays when you are lumped with talentless parasites like Cliff Richard, Elton John, Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger amongst many others.
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:23:26 +0000, The Other Mike
No one 'deserves' a knighthood. It's a gong from the establishment, trying to second guess public opinion

I'm really intrigued as to how you can categorise any of those four as either talentless or parasites.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

Quite. All a home grown industry with considerable exports. Although Sir Cliff perhaps not so much as the others. But does lots of charity work.
--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Jealousy.

What do expect when the original post was x-posted to uk.diy? They're almost on a par with the shed tossers for coming out with rubbish.
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:58:19 +0000, Andy B wrote:

That had to come from a group with 'cycle' in the name.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Heh. Was having a similar argument with a colleague at our xmas do last week "Paul McCartney was a rubbish songwriter, only when co-writing with Lennon did he do anything half decent, and Band on the Run was shit and the Frog Chorus is the only other McCartney song I can remember, apart from that awful dirge Mull of Kintyre, and he obviously didn't do anything else decent otherwise I'd have heard of it..." etc.
I gave up. After naming a dozen or so other songs he'd never heard of.
Champ wrote:

Quite right.
Talented parasites.
Surviving mostly on Copytheft from the Workers.
--
Hog

On 20/12/2012 18:07, Hog. wrote:

critcher said............... I thought it was Sports PERSONALITY Of the Year

True.

They should get one for services to the community, not services to themselves.

"Wiggins’ Tour de France win has been hailed as the greatest performance ever by a British sportsperson."
Ever? That seems a bit of hyperbole.

It's just twaddle. Like asking a group of today's teenagers what is the greatest song ever ever ever. Think they'll pick something more than a year or two old?
--
Tim

Not really. I struggle to think of a 'greater' sporting performance by a british sportsman. For my money, the TdF [1] is far and away the toughest single sporting event in the world.
[1] even *if* using drugs, too
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

This year, perhaps. But how about in the previous 1000 years?
<googles> Huh. Maybe you're right.

Four minute mile, perhaps?
It's about the only thing I can think of that comes close, in terms of acheivement.