Are these surface mount components or not?

See all those little brown blobs? Are they actually surface mount resistors/capacitors? They don't seem to be connected to both contacts. It's the power board for an LCD TV.

James Wilkinson Sword

They look like glue dots for components that were not placed.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Ah that makes sense. I wasn't aware there was glue involved, I thought the solder held them in place. Is the glue just for until the solder machine completes?

But there's a LOT of components missing from the board (it's the power supply board for a Luxor Lux 22-822-COB LCD TV). I just replaced 6 electrolytics as they'd bulged and were preventing powerup.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes it's a sort of glue that holds the components in place while they are in an oven or using flow soldering in some instances.

Well that board is most likely designed for many sizes of TV and models and it's cheaper to make just one Printed circuit board and insert the components you need.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I see. Never seen this before, although I've seen plenty boards with missing components and no glue. Perhaps most production lines don't put glue where the components aren't going?

Good point.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword