BP monitor

I am just in the process of pulling a faulty one apart, faulty as in not getting up to pressure so showing an error. They are quite intricate for what little they cost - there is a tiny compressor, pressure relief valve, over pressure safety valve, then a pressure sensor IC unit, mounted on the PCB - which has the usual LCD display, driver, buttons and rest of the electronics on it.

Then there is the pressure cuff itself, with two air ports, one for air in, one going to the release valve.

My thinking is it is either the over pressure relief valve (which is adjustable), pump, or release valve which has failed.

For the cost, not worth bothering to repair and a replacent is on its way, but just interesting to see what was inside.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mine is getting a bit iffy. When I replace it I shall do the same!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have two BP monitors and I've found the £20 one from Argos is small enough to carry around in luggage and in the car and works well. The problem with a lot of models is the size of the (arm) cuff that comes with the meter which I guess may be too small for anyone who isn't a size zero fashion model. The £20 model from Argos comes with a larger cuff. This BP meter works different in that it records the pressures whilst inflating the cuff rather than the more traditional way of inflating the cuff first, releasing the pressure and then taking the readings on deflation. This cheap meter gives the same results as my much more expensive model.

alan_m

Yes I have a talking one with umpteen memories and a calendar in it. I don't know how they do it for the cost and its pretty accurate and can spot problems when the velcro slips. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff has brought this to us :

Mine is now fixed. The over pressure release valve was adjustable and it had either moved through vibration or the adjustment had slipped. It was just a screw in the end of the valve, with nothing to make it stay put. A quarter turn tighter and it now works. There was absolutely nothing in there, to calibrate, so it must self calibrate using air pressure as the reference.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield