Appliance rollers?

I need some for the washing machine (90kg) and a couple of other machines, with brakes.

Screwfix sell them - and so do Argos.

eg:

$ja=tsid:11527cc:|prd:8411220|cat:Other+Diy+Tools+And+EquipmentReviews are both ways.

Before I buy these, anyone come across a set they are really happy with?

Ideally, they should have recesses so the appliance feet locate positively within them - looks like the Argos ones do.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim W

$ja=tsid:11527> cc:|prd:8411220|cat:Other+Diy+Tools+And+Equipment

If you want these just for moving things you're probably wasting your money as there are easier ways to move things. A couple of sheets of hardboard will move most domestic items.

If you intend leaving the washing machine on them in use you will find them noisy (hard plastic wheels), prone to moving about and damaging to floor tiles. They may also make it impossible to get your appliances under worktops unless you've allowed for the extra height.

I can't remember which brand we had but they were a severe disappointment. Have a detailed look at them before you buy.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I had some which looked much the same as the Argos ones and they were pretty useless. They add height to the machine so it may not fit under work surfaces. The rollers were small and hence didn't cope with any floor roughness. They were bought for use in house where the plastic floor tiles stopped just underneath the worktop line and behind that was concrete. Moving the appliance on them was no easier than wrestling it out. You can only pull straight out and they would stop on the lino lip at which point the appliance pulled off them. I think you will find the pads are just that - with a slightly raised edge rather than a significant recess for the appliance feet. They also corroded quite quickly.

Unless you have room to pull the appliance fully out in a perfectly straight line they don't work - they don't turn corners at all.

For a perfectly smooth floor under the machine with perfectly straight access to pull them out they are fine - but on such a floor you don't really need them anyway.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Peter Parry wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 14:02

Cicero/Peter,

Hmm. We had some when I were a lad, but they were on lino.

Floor damage was something I was trying to avoid. I reckon dragging the machine out (at 90kg) on its own feet is not going to do the floor much good either (slate).

Perhaps I should look more at some little cups with felt on. The felt shouldn't walk too much and will protect the floor while sliding.

Or maybe stick the felt on the machine's feet if they're big enough.

I agree with the idea of hardboard for a deliberate move - but sometimes it would be nice to slide the machine out for cleaning without a lot of wibbling.

Height's not a problem as I can built the worktops to accommodate such things :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim W

The only system that works is a low profile parallelogram that slides underneath. You lift the handle at the front, the parallelogram expands upwards lifting the appliance off the floor. The parallelogram action stops just after it goes past vertical - ideally a press-to-release cable latch could be implemented to lock it. The underside has large PTFE sliders or rollers. The problem is accommodating washing machines, cookers & freezers of over 120kg.

A sack cart isn't ideal - the ledge does not extend far enough under the appliance (instead hooking under the front and burying itself in motor & hoses underneath); additionally most cars are not strong enough to handle 120kg+ machines. The fundamental flaw is you can't tilt sufficiently due to the proximity to low kitchen worktops so you end up half lifting, half dragging the thing out of its hole.

The solution is for manufacturers to simply fit a full width roller on the rear of heavy appliances, then the front has castors or spherical sliders which are simply "disintermediated out" by screw down adjustable feet which are relatively common. Perhaps one area where a good few lawsuits for injury would actually (uniquely?) have a benefit for society. Marketing evidentally get someone else to pull their machine out, no doubt whilst they play with coloured bricks.

Reply to
js.b1

js.b1 wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 16:58

Does this have a product name? Not sure if you're proposing something or if it actually exists - only I haven't come across one in my extensive googling - but it sounds ideal :)

That's not a problem. 90kg is my worst case - most of the widgets are much lighter.

A simple solution which we employed on computer racks - works well there...

Reply to
Tim W

I have seen it, but not for many years (18 I'd guess). It worked superbly and was used by German kitchen fitters.

It does - the feet can be anti-slip because they are withdrawn for movement.

Reply to
js.b1

I had some rollers and the rubber pads got squashed with the weigh of the appliance. Also any grip on the floor got onto the roller and it marked the floor. Hardboard idea is by far the best - I have 4 strips in the garage just for this purpose.

Reply to
John

Should be "GRIT"

Reply to