tv distribution

Hello,

I hope this counts as a DIY question; if you think it belongs in an AV/home cinema group, please let me know of the most appropriate place to post it.

I was wondering about tv distribution. At the moment I have the aerial go into a distribution amplifier in the loft, which then runs to sockets in various rooms.

I realise that composite and UHF are the worst ways to share pictures but sometimes I hear of people sending a picture from say a Sky box in their lounge along some coax to a second TV in their bedroom.

I was wondering how this works. Do you take the aerial straight down to the lounge then take a second coax back up to the loft and put that into the distribution amp. That's the only way I can think of.

However I have seen some 8+1 amplifiers and I am not sure what the "+1" means; the web sites do not make it clear. It looks as though one output has a much higher gain. Why would that be?

I read the wiki and that mentions amps in the loft and there seems to be a worry about fire risk. Should they be moved into the airing cupboard where they can be seen?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Stephen.

Use something like this :-

$ja=tsid:11527%7Ccc:%7Cprd:5347926%7Ccat:Tv+And+Video+SendersTinyurl
are others, Google "TV Sender"

Allows you to control the Sky Box from your bed.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

You might want to try uk.tech.digital-tv (crossposted).

Reply to
Jim

So you can run a passive splitter ion the end and get say 4 more outputs.

I run mine in the office, along with the PABX, the router, the print server, the file server, and the ethernet switch. Toasty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

its not ideal, but a lot more practical than other options.

another coax from lounge box to the distribution point. A splitter to combine the 2 signals before distributing the result. The other option is a loftbox, which does this all in one.

upto you. If its convenient/practical it would be safer. 69,000 house fires per year in UK.

NT

Reply to
NT

Maybe I've read it wrong? but 'composite' (CVBS) should be a massively strong, low frequency signal of about 1V pkpk. Would way overload any TV aerial amp.

Reply to
john

Thanks. I hadn't heard of that group before. I've had a quick search for a FAQ but all I could find was a post from 2006 saying there wasn't one! What does "digital TV" include/exclude? Is it only about freeview? Does it include satellite or is that a topic for another group?

Returning to my original post, I had been looking at Antiference distribution amplifiers, whereas I think I need a loft box which is slightly more sophisticated. From what I could tell from the antiference web site, they don't make any. Do they?

I have found a Labgear HDU681 and that seems to fit the bill. The box claims to be eight way but with the downlink as well, I guess it is actually nine way? Has anyone used one and is there anything good or bad I should know about it? Is there anything better?

I don't have satellite (yet) but I see it has two satellite inputs (LNB1 and LNB2). Don't some people have quad LNBs? I'm not sure what a quad LNB does, but if I had one, presumably I would not be able to use this box as two of them could not be connected?

There is also an input for CCTV, which is something else I do not have at the moment. From the Labgear pdf I have found, it looks as though it only supports one camera though. Could you modulate two cameras on different channels and then combine their feeds into the input?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Yes, you did ;)

I was talking about distributing a modulated UHF signal. I was anticipating that people would say that modulated was worse than composite which is worse than scart etc. so I put in a disclaimer saying I realised that UHF and composite were the worst ways to distribute AV. The problem is that UHF and composite require less wires than S-video or scart. I wouldn't enjoy wiring a 21 way extension scart lead! The composite was a red herring, sorry for any confusion.

Reply to
Stephen