Apple ipads (again)

SUN workstations, IRIX - HP/UX - all in use in big user apps - banking CAD/CAM.

Rubbish. Unix and Linux was just another desktop system than and it is now.

Big unix servers didnt have GUIS of course. But desktop unix has been around a long time.

I waited till they worked. Say 7 years now. Frankly its might as well be windows except its free and its more stable. And I can do more with it.

I'd agree there..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This happens whenever you move from anything at all to PCs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yerrs. I did an install in a prestigious firm of Glasgow solicitors. They had SCO unix and one lawyer kept the while thing running - and 100 wyse terminals - as a spare time activity.

Then they went Microsoft...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Tim Streater escribió:

Use a Taser. Please.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Ruger .475

Reply to
Huge

No it was win2000, when no dos was there. It was a toy Mickey mouse setup. We asked it to anything except provide a window which apps running on UNIX servers or mainframes ran inside. Other it would just fall over.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Review of Nexus 7 v i-pad. The i-pads are being dropped in favour of the Nexus 7

Doctor Drivel

Take more water with it.

Reply to
brass monkey

the reviewer say that anyone is dropping the IPad in favour of the Nexus.

Reply to
stuart noble

I thought it was balanced and he started with criticisms first.

Read the comments many are dropping the i-pad. Also, if you are new to the tablets then what would you buy? Even many of the comments agree with me that the i-pad is too big to be a real portable device. One comment pointed out that the Nexus 7 charger was 2A so anything less that a 1A charger will not work - which I assume the reviewer was doing.

One comment stated that he only uses his smartphone for calls and texts nothing else, as the Nexus 7 does what he did on the phone but far better with big screen. This brings me to the point of having a cheap touch screen phone (organizes the texts well) with NFC to tether the Nexus 7, so you can access the cellphone network. Then the monthly phone bills is very low, as no i-phone or Galaxy is needed. What you save on a monthly phone contract would pay for a few Nexus 7s in a year. So, the Nexus can even save you money. The real powerful computer, pc or laptop, will be at home. The Nexus is also faster than the i-phone.

The Nexus 7 is now in 32GB for the same price as the 16GB - from Argos in a few weeks. That's if you need the capacity of course. The games nuts tend to want the extra storage.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I keep a ThinCharger in my overnight bag which will charge my phone, my kobo or my Nexus7.

N7 also charges ok (but slower obviously) from various 1A chargers I have knocking around, or really slowly from 500mA USB port on laptop.

Tethering over NFC, are you sure? I've read my passport (and detected but not read my debit card) over NFC and that's about it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The point is that the Nexus "can" use the cellphone network by having a phone with NFC. Another good point is that the Nexus 7 can pay for itself by getting a cheaper contract phone with NFC, as the computer (smart) side you will not be using of the phone.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

it's impressive that drivel claims that he was running Windows 2000 in the late 80s. So not only does he claim to be a UNIX guru but he's also the owner of a time machine.

Reply to
Steve Firth

En el artículo , Steve Firth escribió:

Note how he's gone from "I" to "we" when talking about his fictional Unix/Windows setup. Assuming it actually existed, it's likely the real work was done by an expert and Drivel was merely the tea boy.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

this man is qa fool. he is.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

this idiot lives in Wallasey. he does.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

expectation is

Nice job of making stuff up.

Android applications are all sandboxed so you ' install things that break other apps"

When you write applications, you use a fragments system that allows your code to lay out for any device...

Reply to
MarkG123

No need to keep posting we all agree that you need a good kicking.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Wish you actually could get a reasonably priced laptop with a proper serial port these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)