Apple ipads (again)

This sort of thing happened with microsoft too, people at home having to buy Word and excel because thats' what they used at work. I also know of comonies and people that are ditchingn outlook and going over to google mail and their calander and office apps as peole can use them freely at home and they are simpler to use.

Reply to
whisky-dave

How long do Google keep emails before deleting them?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm not sure, my oldest is my first email from google after I signed up whi= ch is dated 2nd october 2004.=20 I'm, presently using 37% of my allocated space. I think you can keep gmails as long as you have storage space.

In outlook I have a couple of messages going back to 2003 I'm pretty sure I= 've been using outlook since 2000 or so... but we get promted to delete unw= anted emails to save on server spaceso with outlok it's up to your local pr= ovided and if they want them deleted they'll be deleted.

I've been told the largest email attachment I can use with outlook is 10MB = with Gmail it's 20MB.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Then why are large trucks used in prefernce over smaller cars, here in lond= on I see very large trucks being used to deliver things all the time.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I expect Darren's talking about the big picture - yes, desktop UNIX machines were around in the late '80s (e.g. Torch Triple-X, Whitechapel MG-1) which gave you a GUI and some icons to click on, but they were rather expensive in comparison to a PC running Windows, and you'd have to have a very good reason to issue them to users.

Then there's the problem of how to keep a graphical view of the world in sync with an OS that was completely customisable via a shell; systems such as MS Windows avoided that problem by hiding a lot of the system and application configuration away from the user and making the GUI the only way to modify things.

With training, yes - or with users who only needed a simplistic view of 'the computer' such that all they did was turn the machine on, click on a few icons, and then use applications just as they would with a MS-windows system. There were an awful lot of things that couldn't be done via a typical GUI on a typical UNIX machine back in the day - and an awful lot more things that went horribly wrong if users tried.

It takes programming effort and system resources to keep a GUI view in sync with the system when you're running in a multi-user environment, and when there's nothing to stop someone coming in and tweaking a config file somewhere which then requires your pretty graphical interface to notice and update itself. In the past I suspect it's been hard to justify the programming effort given that it takes extra CPU time and memory to make it work, and the majority of UNIX users don't particularly care about graphical bells and whistles anyway.

I suppose it'll be 20 years next year (gulp!) since I started running Linux on my home desktop machines - but it's worked for me because I know the limitations (or don't even see them as limitations in the first place) and where I need to tread carefully.

Yeah, I think MS-Windows has only been expensive comparatively recently, hasn't it? Back in the '80s and early '90s (which is the sort of timeframe I assume Drivel is talking about) I didn't think that MS- Windows was particularly costly; it was only with the Win95-and-later era as MS thought they had users by the balls that things have become a rip- off.

Hmm, I much preferred them, TBH, because they allowed me to do what I mostly expect a GUI to do but without a load of resource-sapping sugar- coating slathered on top.

and the thin clients? Although, if you're running the entire Windows OS it sounds more like a fat client with a remote desktop and a few network shares.

You say "...went for Windows on the desktops because they would save a fortune on training people. People would come in already knowing Windows, Word, etc, as they had them at home.", but then you go on to say "bespoke written company apps", so which is it? Either you're running a bunch of Windows apps on the Windows clients which are simply delivered from the UNIX server, or you're running a bunch of UNIX apps on the UNIX server with the Windows clients providing the GUI.

It would be very useful if you could say what year this was, what release of Windows, what thin client/sharing technology, and what UNIX platform it was. Otherwise it makes me think that you're just blurring together a bunch of stuff that you've read about over the years but didn't necessarily have any involvement with...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Try parking a large truck in the super market car park.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Until about 1997, I supported a trading floor in the City that was running on IBM RS/6000s with X/terminals.

Piece of piss with an X/terminal. You don't give them the ability to run a shell.

Hmmm. When we scrapped the X/Terminals and moved over to PCs, the trading floor support team went from 1/2 a person (me) to 3 1/2 people.

But Drivel is full of crap, nonetheless.

Reply to
Huge

Why would I want to do that, are you implying that a truck is like a laptop and an iPad is like a car ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

As a matter of interest, why keep emails on the server rather than downloading them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[snip]

it's not "Apple propaganda" it is the experience of an Android fan. Who considers it normal for his Android device(s) to experience a daily crash.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They had no licences ands were very reliable requiring less admin time.

Same with UNIX versions with only a GUI for the end user to look at. The interconnectivity between UNIX server and client was fast and seamless.

All users needed was few icons for the apps they needed. easily done with UNIX. Bad designs left all the Windows rubbish there inc Control panel causing endless problem for admin people. Give them only what they need to see. We had each user configurable by say the branch manager. If user only needed one icon, that is all they saw.

Nonsense. GUI front ends were there. Even word processing. Most was intuitive.

Only if soemone has access to the server, which they will not have.

End users don't care anyhow.

From 91/92 onwards Windows was the defacto desktop OS. The US went wild on it.

..and the constant crashing and slowing up. Admin men constantly reinstalling the OS. A joke.

Thin client as no apps were run on it.

The apps they used for company business were bespoke and run from the servers, some ran from mainframes up country over a WAN. A Windows window front end, and the work done and database on the mainframe.

Initially BULL UNIX then IBM AIX with a quick progression on improved boxes. The UNIX versions could not keep up with the improved hardware. You could manually assign a process to a cpu. Win 3.1 and then 95. LAN with hub and connectivity to ICL mainframes via the UNIX server over a WAN. The quad processors UNIX boxes improved matters brilliantly. We implemented an internal mail system. There was no external connection to the Internet so no anti-virus software running anywhere. Then later all was seen through a browser window for the end user.

When an office needed a software update the central admin would download the update in one image onto the UNIX server. When the staff switch on in the morning a new appearance was there - new icons, etc. All done by one guy over a WAN, who could do number of offices in one night.

The data on the UNIX servers was backed up to a large central storage overnight. Then this was backed up onto tape for archive after a time.

If a desktop PC was faulty, it took a few minutes to swop one in and out. Just do table changing on the server, done by central admin over the phone. Then switch on and the users image would be exactly the same. All in minutes. No Windows OS rebuild and all the rest of the crap.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have never found a systems admin man to know anything about computing - but they all think they do. Tweakers and fiddlers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is mad.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Why download them ? why keep them on the server well one reason is so you can get them when not at work, not that I'd bother doing that. But why not ? We backup to servers, what if someone came in and nicked all the PCs not that it's happened in years, the last computers we had stolen on mass were Macpluses

13 of them and a two printers, I don;t think we've got anyhting that valuable computer wise since.

Another reeason for keeping thinsg on servers is convience when travelling in that you don;t need to take everything with you. With the 'cloud' becoming default (on macs anyway) that seems to be the best way to go.

Reply to
whisky-dave

This is an idiot. He lives with the living dead in Wallasey. Sad but true.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No a laptop is like a bicycle and an ipad is like a skateboard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Welcome to the Internet...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So anyone can read them, natch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Madness does reign.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh come come, Jules. A PC running Windows in the late 80s? Are you Sirius? Would you actually have wanted to do that? Windows was s**te until at least Win95, when they *finally* learnt to copy the Mac.

Reply to
Tim Streater