Anyone looking for a "doer-upper"?

But the government is making it harder and harder to do that. Anything you've given away 10 years before your death etc....

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Some time ago then?....

Well least not around these parts...

Reply to
tony sayer

But that makes you a thief! You should be spending that money for the benefit of "society" (Whatever that is)

Reply to
Huge

I don't think many see care homes as a cash cow.

And the offspring's responsibility to look after parents in their old age?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing wrong with that. And if you can avoid inheritance tax at the same time then even better.

ARW

Well you can always shove them into a shit care home if they do not give you their house:-)

Reply to
ARW

Hah. You must be joking. Some of the most rapacious bastards I've ever met were the owners of care homes. Admittedly, they weren't all like that, but many were.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But if you look at the accounts and work out the ROI, it's tiny

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You actually believe the published accounts? They are constructed to reduce the tax bill(s) as much as possible without breaking the law and for no other purpose.

They may not sail as close to the wind as the mega international corporations (Starbucks et al) but the care home companies are still multi-million pound businesses and saving a couple of percent here and there is a significant amount of money.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe now - but twenty years ago it certainly wasn't. Really easy to pick up big old houses for relative peanuts and turn them into 12 or

20 bedded units. Staffing/running costs kept as low as possible, natch. I even knew of one owner who trousered the residents' Xmas bonuses. FFS, that man was a total slimeball.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon