magnetic picker upper

I've just dropped a whole load of screws.... has anyone invented a magnetic picker upper perhaps with a battery and a switch and a probe i can stick in a tight corner and pick up the screws with it then flick the switch and drop them off???

or just use an old speaker magnet?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

George \(dicegeorge\) ("George \(dicegeorge\)" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes. You just have. Now all you have to do is build and market it, and you'll be rich. Congratulations.

Reply to
Adrian

but i want a screw now!

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

No he won't,what about brass screws?

Reply to
George

Duh! Brass magnet obviously. ;-)

TIm

Reply to
Tim Downie

Wait until later tonight :-) concentrate on picking-up what you've dropped.

Reply to
NoSpam

Well I wouldn't be without my magnetic picker upper, basically just a telescopic car aerial with a magnet on the end. Have a long grabby picker upper as well for non magnetic stuff. Why don't you just buy one! £3.55 from Toolstation - with mirror!

Bob Mannix

My screwdriver from B&Q has one built under the recess for inserting the bits. It's great!

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

In a polythene bag. Drag over floor until bag is covered with screws, then turn bag inside-out and remove magnet.

Reply to
Ian White

Child's play putty on a stick. :-)

Reply to
George

or TL00945 (with built in ball point pen)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Plastic bag over it.

Pick up screws, pull on bag, screws off.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

and the screws are in the bag! fantastic!

[g]

Plastic bag over it.

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

The voice coil magnets from a big old hard disk, the bigger and older the better.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Wrap it in a strong plastic bag first (Ziplocks are thicker than most, and easily sealed).

Dead microwaves are another good source of magnets.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Try the magnets inside an old hard drive .. their good for this;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

And if you've forgotten the bag, and the gap in the magnet filled with iron filings, hot-melt will clean it up: bit of hot-melt glue on the gap, let cool, peel off. Good for cleaning files, the serrations in plier jaws etc. also as well.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Or if you want to do it industrially...