upper storey overhang

hi all

I have done a search and could find nothing on this.

Basically, I am considering a small upper (1st floor) extension to provide a few extra square feet to make dividing a big bedroom into 2 a worthwhile project. The extension would be supported from 2 exterior walls and would overhang the external steps to the front door of which we are the sole users.

House is of brick construction and we are not in a conservation area (Lewisham Council - in case youre interested). There are some odd extensions/dormers on our road, but nothing quite like this.

Am I daft to be considering doing this? Is this something that any of you guys have heard of or done(!)

TIA

Pat

Reply to
flygoalie

Once or twice. :-)

If I have got the idea, having a look here might help a little:

Reply to
Rod

For a few square feet I can already hear Sarah Beany telling you it's not worth bothering!

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Ah yes, but the few square feet make a box room into a more acceptable size... 8ft*10ft sounds a lot better than 6ft*10.... See what i mean?

Reply to
flygoalie

The terrace of houses across the road from me was built like yours would be in 1985. I suspect that they were architect designed - and well designed too, I think they fit in well to the streetscape and they are remarkably spacious

I cant help you source the plans but if you need a photo of "this is the sort of thing we are thinking of" then let me know

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:  (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

No you are not mad. I've done something similar with an extension - it cantilevers out by about 700mm from the ground floor. A timber frame construction would be easiest

The issue would be the design as a whole and not the construction. Can it work as a completely different design to the existing, or does it have to match? These will be the planning considerations

dg

Reply to
dg

Thanks dg, that is useful to know, agreed that the design would be the key. Did you diy or gsi? What was the cost?

I am looking at a 700mm cantiliver, about 1500mm long and about 2500 high - standing room plus. Not huge, but as I said, it increases the room size by about 700mm. As the sainsbury ad says, every little helps.....or summink.

Anna: could you email a pic of what's across the road?

Many thanks again!

Pat

Reply to
flygoalie

Your problems are probably not so much technical as regulatory. Planning permission and building control. The wall is also holding either a gable wall or more likely roof rafters and ceiling joists. A loft conversion would be a better bet.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Its DIY. I don't have the costs as it was done as and when I had time, and I did not keep track of stuff I bought or aquired from other sites.

The expensive items are the cladding (cedar) and insulation 120mm kingspan. The acrual timber frame is just cheap CLS. Flat roof is EPDM

dg

Reply to
dg