Anyone got any good xmas diyish gift / gadget ideas?

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

Well yes, but we all only have to argue once - you have to argue with every one of us :-)

OK, I'll bite.

These days, we send and receive around two dozen, although not all via the post.

Two (cards, not percent), and one of them is our postie, whom we have known for many years. He gets a decent bottle, too, but he is a friend as well as our postie.

Pleasure rather than joy, but they all give pleasure in the sense of being remembered, and reassurance that the sender is not dead.

Do you mean, when a card arrives, do I know the person/people who have signed it? All of them.

Most.

Probably half. But isn't that the point? To keep in touch? When I started proper, full time work in 1970 I was quite friendly with a girl who was at least ten years older. Four years later we both relocated with the firm, and were friends. Another two years and I left, and moved away. Have not seen her since 1976 yet we have always kept in touch, letters, occasional phone calls and Christmas cards. No card for the last two years, so I fear the inevitable, but am grateful that we exchanged cards, always with news snippets, for as long as we did.

I may be slightly unusual in that I have moved around the country quite a lot, and therefore have friends from areas that I will probably never revisit in person.

Perhaps a quarter.

Very much so. I'm very much a traditionalist in many ways and yes, I love Christmas. I enjoy writing, receiving and displaying cards, decorating the (real) tree, Christmas lunch, playing board games, singing carols, remembering the 'reason for the season', exchanging gifts (immediate family only - and one postie), admiring the village lights, seeing the joy of the kiddies as they see Father Christmas and his reindeer and all the rest of it.

<grin> My Mum, even at the end of her long life, sent and received far more cards than we do. Four times as many.

There are four screws permanently in the wall here, for the strings to hold the cards - and permanent hooks around the windows to hang lights.

Not, I hasten to add, that we go OTT - no exterior lights, illuminated figures etc. We don't have garden gnomes either ...

I write and post most of them.

Well, a range yes, but they are all fairly generic and choice is fairly random. It is (I think) what we write that is important, not the pre printed mush. Personally, I'm not a fan of cards (of any type) with reams of pre printed mushy gushy stuff. A fairly simple Happy (Occasion) will do - I'll add whatever needs saying.

Reply to
Graeme

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and the honesty Owain (especially the Woolworth's jumbo box for the Z listers) ;-)

I can see and appreciate it might be a bit different of you were on your own, (however you got there) however, I don't think even that would make me want to send Xmyth cards but might make me a bit more (or appear more) sociable. ;-)

On one hand I don't particularly like my own company but I am also fairly fussy who I spend time with. Like, I prefer down_to_earth, honest and practical people ... people who can look after themselves and where we might share some common interests etc. People where there is no effort needed to talk about anything ... even if it is bollix. Someone willing to also put a brew on, or knock up a sarnie for as both, even if it's 'not their house'. ;-)

I'm lucky that I currently have much of that with my Mrs (we are 'mates' and are happy to knock about together etc).

Ironically we have both said we want to be the first to go ... knowing how hard it might be to be on your own, after such a relationship etc.

In fact I've even said I'm not sure I'd still want to be around if she goes, but she has insisted I stay for everone else (mainly daughters etc). Not sure what good I would be to them.

I (really really) do feel for anyone who has lost a long term partner, and especially if you had anything like the life I have had with mine.

I would be happy to 'be there' for anyone, even on the end of a phone if that gave them any distraction / solace.

All the best mate.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What's weird about you is that you think you can do reason.

Reply to
tabbypurr

'Discuss' mate, 'discuss'. ;-)

Cheers.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Graeme, it was both interesting (statistically) and informative (insight).

I can appreciate how getting a card can be a form of ACK that the other party exists. Their next-of-kin may not know you or your address or that you care they are around or not. An alternative might be some form of pre-prepared letter left in a safe location to be sent in the event of their demise? Only finding out they died two years ago (by the lack of Xmas cards) wouldn't be any good if you wanted to go to the funeral?

I like the idea that you would actually write *something* more than 'Best wishes' etc. That makes it less of an issue (than just being a pre printed folded mashed tree) etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, that must be it. Keep sending the folded cardboard ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I shall, it's a constructive social skill.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's not that I ended up single, I started off single and it never changed!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yeah, I meant "seem cheerful to *us*!" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

;-)

Ah, well that's probably is that different situation then.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Having the need to remove a boiler equipped wood burning stove with very limited clearance I got myself one of these to undo the unions on the gravity system water pipes.

, saved a lot of time and demolishing of a surround made of hardiebacker board with tiles fixed to it that had been built around the stove after it was first installed . It was the shortest wrench I could find with the jaw size for 28mm pipe fittings. Around 39mm or inch and a half in old money.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Mate regularly loaded a trolley from B and Q or Asda or somewhere like that and pushed it all the way home, He then parked it around the corner and phoned a phone number on them to report an abandoned trolley so he wasn?t all bad.

I see you can now do it by an app.

GH

Reply to
Marland

God you're a killjoy...

Reply to
Jim K..

Indeed! :-D:-D

Reply to
Jim K..

Because it pisses you off?

Aye aye! "But do not look upon the festive imagery Tubs!!"

Do you have "Nudy Wednesday" too?

Reply to
Jim K..

No just more excess pious seasonal bleating.

Their "lives"? FFS do get a grip on some sort of reality!

Having watched Royston Vasey I reckon it would suit your somewhat hysterical mindset quite well :-)

Reply to
Jim K..

If you haven't watched any if it how would you know?

but sending your "friends" videos of you shredding their unopened cards is just so you Timbo!

Ho ho ho ;-)

Reply to
Jim K..

Pinched? I think £1 is a pretty decent deal (if you go for the large size)

Reply to
Jim K..

Oh so now "not really watched any of it" turns out to be quite the opposite? How convenient (and slimy)

Fess up Tim, you don't have many friends do you?

Reply to
Jim K..

Theres still time T i m i d, last posting date is 22nd I think? Are things really that tight? Or really so desperately "alt" ?

(soo looking forward to the next drug induced festive ream ;-) )

Reply to
Jim K..