any way to make filters for bagless vacuum cleaners?

I just bought an electrolux robovac ex -demo cheap but am appalled at the price of the filters it uses- over a pound each. I tried washing the filters but it doesn't work very well. There is a symbol comes up when the filter needs changing and it comes up very fast with a cleaned filter but these filters look like some very basic material which could be cut to shape if I knew what it was and where to get it. Anyone got any ideas?
Joe Fuller wrote:

As I don't have one of these jobbies and probably countless others don't have one, we'd need to see what one looks like?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Joe Fuller wrote:

http://www.dustbag.co.uk/search_results.asp?searchType=keyword&s
Phil L wrote:

I see you wear the pinny in your abode Phillip.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I see you wear the conical hat with a 'D' on in yours George. :-P

You could try cooker-hood filter material.
--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Use part of an old K&N air filter from a car! It is mesh with oil impregnated cotton in the middle. That will do the trick and will probably last for a few million cleans. They do nothing for a cars performance apart from psychological (boy racers think it turns a Micra/Corsa into a formula 1 car) but might be what you need. You can oil it after cleaning every year.
Don't suppose this helps but there is a washable bag and/or filter option on some machines. Might be worth checking. With most you can just leave the filters out anyway (unless you are ashmatic/allergic etc.) Saves a bomb.
cheers
Jacob

My old Vax is generally bagless these days due to it's promotion to the workshop/garage. The primary filter is now usually made from a circle cut out from an old bedsheet. Maybe not as effective as the original material but this method does lend itself to the production of filters with quite pretty floral patterns on occasion. :)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
Mike Halmarack wrote:

Womens stockings. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:55:14 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

French Knickers ;-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
Joe Fuller wrote:

Just needs tightly woven cloth, so there are no visible little holes. Dont expect as good performance, in that cloth lets through larger particles than paper, but it doesnt clog as badly as paper, and can be washed.
NT
Years ago we had a bagless vac, supposedly the industrial variety. It was good to remove chips 'n stuff when we'd been doing remodeling. I don't think it was intended to pick up fine dust, although it was allegedly OK for removing standing water. The air outlet was in the lid, on top, and I don't recall it had a filter. One day when I was away, my hubby got the idea to clean out the soot from the nooks and crannies inside the tiled oven in which we'd been burning wood and briketts. When I came home he was happily vacuuming away, paying no attention to what was being blasted onto the (formerly) white ceiling. Need I say more?

Soot poses very special problems for vacuum cleaners. The particles are much smaller than any domestic vacuum cleaner filter so initially it all passes straight through. However, it is also sticky, so it will start sticking to the filter and then clog it if it's a fine filter. Thus you go from pretty ineffective to clogged. Also, a cloud of soot can be conductive, flammable and even explosive, so it's not the best substance to use for forced cooling of the vacuum cleaner motor. Finally, being sticky, you'll find the air path through the machine, hose, tools etc goes black.
--
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

I guess an old 50s/60s/70s vac would make an ideal donor.
NT