How to throw away obsolete electronics

I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do ?

Reply to
Daniel Santos

Doesn't your local reclamation/recycling centre have a special place for them?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Join the Freecycle Group on Yahoo Groups relative to the area you stay in and someone will take it .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I would throw it in the bin.

doubt anyone would take it off you're hands though

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Find a skip or your local council tip. It will be on ebay within the week. I put a monitor in the bin once and the bin lorry stopped!

Reply to
simon

Do they work or not? (not sure how much difference that may make?!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

|I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete |player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do ?

Our local tip^h^h^hdomestic waste site has a special container for electronic stuff. I think someone strips the good stuff out.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I took two old but working monitors to the local tip a few weeks back and was told that new council regulations stated that only one monitor could be brought to the tip per household per week! When I blinked at this he said "I'm not looking - put them over there"

Reply to
Gully Foyle

I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go along.

It gives them the opportunity to wield some power ranging from flat refusal to making their customers bow and scrape to getting eternal thanks that they allowed the "rules" to be bent.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They're jobsworths, right?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In my day it was a cast iron bin in the wall that they had to hook out and sling it on their back,empty it and then hump it back to where it belonged. :-(

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On 2006-03-18, Andy Hall wrote: [snip]

To dispose of three broken monitors legally will cost my employers around £250 pounds under the new legislation. The tip rules are designed to stop businesses offloading their commercial stuff by sending their IT chap round with a car load. The jobsworths seem to have forgotten that any business can quite quickly russle up a number of people willing to take random runs to the tip. Not that I'd suggest that any business do that, of course.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Inglis

Not usually. Following outsourcing, they typically seem to be pikies.

The jobsworths are to be found in the town hall or as car park attendants or school caretakers looking like Deryck Guyler.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If its a dot matrix, you`d be surprised at what they sell for on ebay these days !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

They still do that here. Its a plastic bin though.

Reply to
dennis

ebay or freecycle.

Freecycle works ok as long as you remember to put your approx location and if you state that you won't deliver (or will) else you'll get people asking you to deliver stuff miles.

Reply to
mogga

One of the biggest hassles for business is that you can dispose of Asbestos and nuclear waste (eg. ionization smoke alarms) at the dump provided you arrive in a car. In a van it's £50+VAT per trip even if it's hedge clippings.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , simon writes

I put 2 CRT monitors in a skip in St Neots and they both appeared days later in an auction in Bedford, the dead one made £10:00 and the working one £5:00 !!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bill

Fine, but are the binmen built like "brick sh**houses". ;-)

the ones you get now are either spotty oik's or look as if they just walked out of burtons window.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The guys round my way are corrupt as hell and have been for years. It's meant to be strictly for residents and not trade rubbish. If you come in a van it must be done by appointment and only for private rubbish. When I've gone down there I've always had lots of grief. Once I was disposing of a front garden brick wall (my own) and had a hired a van to dump the stuff. I went through all the proper channels but the guys there were expecting kickbacks. One of them went off on one because I wasn't 'treating' them. Then their 'manager' turns up in his car and tells me that the refuse didn't belong to the council but a water company (which was a plain lie) and I wasn't really meant to be dumping bricks there...but "if you look after the boys we'll let it pass". I just took the stuff to another dump and had no problems.

Reply to
daddyfreddy