Any experience of fireplace or chimney dampers?

We have a large'ish open fire and I'm tempted to make, or to get made, something to close-off the chimney when the fire isn't in use (which is most of the time). Has anyone here done the same?

(Yes, I know I could fit a wood burner but it's a large fire in a formal room and it just wouldn't look right - according to SWMBO)

Reply to
nothanks

I have used these

they seem to do the job (keep the draughts out). They may be something of a gimmick (cue sheep jokes) and I have no idea if there's a better option, but they tick a few boxes for me. I have no connection with the company mentioned other than as a buyer of their products.

Reply to
Allan

If it's only used rarely, a chimney balloon is the thing, looks like an inflatable pillow.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

This umbrella product was considered niche by the dragons, and laughed off for the cost.

Something fitted permanently would probably need to have safety interlocks added, to avoid closing the chimmney if the fire is in use.

Why not close it for good, and install an LCD monitor and an infra-red space heater?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I have a rolled-up offcut of rockwool shoved up mine.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks, but I'd ruled-out a DIY version of those because of the problems of storing a big sooty thing, and crud falling down when it's pulled from the chimney

Reply to
nothanks

I discounted chimellas and balloons because they're only slightly better than a made-to-fit DIY wooden panel (and it's quite a large fireplace) - storage and crud being the main problems. I'm thinking of a metal frame with a pivoted metal plate, similar to these:

nothanks

Discounted because of storage, crud and size

Reply to
nothanks

Storage - a ballon deflates, deflate, shove it in a bag.

Crud - Is going to fall down anyway. At least with a balloon you know when it's going to.

Size - See storage and surely with a little used fire place "storage" is up the chimney. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1

and at £15 or so you don't have to use it for long to cover the cost (assuming the fire doesn't rely on air from vents you close when not using it).

Reply to
Robin

Irrespective of any mode of blocking you are going to get the crud that has fallen on the blocking mechanism dropping down when opening up again, otherwise where do you expect this crud to disappear to?

Even with a bespoke fixed design consider how it is to be cleaned.

Reply to
alan_m

I think they centre pivot so the crud slides off when opened.

The fixing trick is knowing that you have to take out and replace some brick above your fire opening.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

An angle-iron frame around the outside with a pivoting, removable and counterbalanced plate that fits into the frame.

Reply to
nothanks

Possible downside.

If Santa gets stuck, there will be no presents this year.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

No, it would be fixable from inside the chimney and have minimal effect on the throat when open

Reply to
nothanks

A crow fell down my chimney that is lined with a stainless steel double insulated liner.

Normally they fall down the open fire flues, shit on everything and fly out of a window.

But this one came to rest against the rotating chimney damper of the wood stove, where it couldn't get out and I couldn't pull it down either. After a week the noises stopped, but the damper was jammed.

Eventually, come this winter, I lit a fire.

That cleared the blockage.

Obviously you get the chimney swept *before* you install a blocker. Then it won't drop soot when you take it out for the winter

And the crows instead of flying out of the open fireplace, will simply die, instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ha! I'll wait until after Christmas to make any changes ;-) Fortunately our Covid isolation ends at 1 second past midnight on Christmas day, so we'll be able to welcome him/her/it.

Reply to
nothanks

Hmm. I have done a couple. Both times the best access was through the front of the chimney.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Getting a good seal with something permanent and designed to work with an open fire too isn't going to be easy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

OK. I'm going mostly by this chap:

(and the fact that we have a large stone fire surround that I do not intend to disturb). The fire opening is over 1m wide and nearly a metre high, reducing to a good-size square flue - there seem to be several fixing good opportunities for fixing points.

Reply to
nothanks