bottom of chimney, fireplace cover

Hi,

At the bottom of my chimney, there is a cover about 10 inch squared, which can be removed.

Do you know what it is called and where i can buy one from?

The one in the bedroom is missing.

Thanks Dave

------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 317510 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
davecasserly

I bet its a clean out made of metal, one would have to likely be custom cut from thick steel.

Reply to
ransley

Hell Toupee

I read the OP as bottom of his chimney, not the bottom of his fireplace. What he described is a flue cover...

Reply to
Reggie Dunlop

"Reggie Dunlop" wrote in news:hsKdnaGnorrAy3PVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Sounds like the clean out to me.

Reply to
ktos

Actually fellas, it sounds to me like Dave is refering to his fireplace chimney damper. Often times they are completly removable from the flue, especially in British style fireplaces. If you use the fireplace rarely, It is a better option to go with a tighter fitting damper like a chimney balloon than getting a replacement metal damper. This style of damper can be found at

If you use the fireplace weekly or daily then you will want to look for the appropriate metal damper replacement or go with a chimney top damper. These are generally installed by a professional.

By the way, to clear up any confusion in what you are referring to Dave, can you please identify on one of these 4 fireplace diagrams where this 10" cover is at?

or does soemone else know of a more detailed chimney diagram we can refer Dave to look at?

Reply to
German Jerry