Anyone ever take out their fireplace and chimney and have information they
would like to share? I'm thinking of doing this and want to prepare for
what might go wrong/need extra attention.
My intent is to remove the fireplace (brick) inside, the chimney outside and
reframe the wall to include a wall unit and zero-clearance/direct-vent
Why? I had a blower door test done on my home and the air that poured in
from the fireplace area was astonishing. By the way, the leakage was not at
the damper as I blocked that sucker up tight, and I capped the chimney. It
was essentially coming in through the chimney brick and such. So I want to
insulate this area and removing it is one idea.
I was also thinking about blowing insulation into the area but don't know if
that will work.
Suggest throw each brick from the old fireplace individually into the river
off of the bridge nearest to your house--and once you've thrown the last
brick over you must also throw a dead black cat off of the bridge also......
You must NOT kill the cat yourself--it must have died of some natural cause
before you toss it over the bridge.........so the timing of the demolition
of the fireplace is crucial, first you must find a dead black
cat........dont even think of starting the project until you have a cat in
And now, a prayer for the cat, and also there's one for the old fireplace.
ynvch yunk ochv ybsvj ojhb yunk. yunk ojhv.
I did exactly what you propose for different reasons. Some background-- 75
yr old farmhouse in southern Vermont, chimney 35' tall, 3' x 18" on top ,
base 4 1/2' x 6' solid also build into the foundation, has 2 flues (boiler &
fireplace) and is constructed of river rock harvested from the crick bed on
site. It started back in Aug 04 when a couple of small rocks fell on the
chimney sweep when he put up a ladder to inspect. So I put up scaffolding
and get ready to rebuild everything above the roofline and point the rest as
needed. I'm up there in the process of removing loose material and feel the
chimney "shift" and before I can udder any profanities the top 4' comes
apart, some freefalls to the ground, some slides down the slate roof, and
some comes to me. It struck the scaffold and ripped out 2 of the 4 wall ties
& pushed the tower 6" out of plumb. My next clear remembrance finds me still
at the top balancing a 150# chunk of debris with one hand and holding a
broken pieces of flue tile in the other. Next step was determine if I can
move and climb down without further disruption, and get my feet on the
The next chapter involved a bucket truck and several hours with a chisel
and 3# sledge then a rotary hammer and for the base a jackhammer. Other
tools used a 14" dry cut demolition saw, a pry bar and a 8" grinder with a
masonry blade. Before I could topple the rest I had to provide venting for
my boiler(does hot water too) so a power vent was installed. Then the
balance of the chimney (vertical column of sand w/ a crisp shell)was
toppled, fireplace removed, bats,snakes and wasps evicted. I framed the
opening and put in a picture window and then the weather caught up with me,
so in spring I can pick up with redoing the siding.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.