Ants

For quite some time now, we have been plagued with ants coming into the house. This year, we have seen none. Did the cold winter kill them off?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No, they have come over to our place. lots of flying ones too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Dave writes

Last years fliers have started nests all over our lawn. Now we have regular visits by a Green Woodpecker and the yard was full of Martins this afternoon: presumably enjoying the next crop.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Did you have a cold winter? The BBC and Guardian and University of East Anglia keep saying how hot the world has been getting. Are they lying?

Reply to
Matty F

In the North West of England it was very cold and dry, it was the dry bit that started me coughing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The two statements are not inconsistent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah, swarmed here on monday

Reply to
geoff

It looks like there was a lot of snow all over England:

Matty F

May well have reduced the number over wintering if not completelky killed 'em off. We don't have ants, ever. We do get cold by low land UK winters being at 1400'.

We had periods of several days where the temperature didn't rise above 0C and minimums well below -10C. Level lying snow out in the middle of the fields was at least 18", where it had drifted against the 5' drystone walls it had completely buried them. The entire countryside became smooth an white.

You need to find out the difference between "weather" and "climate".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Weather is when it gets cold, and climate is when it gets hot. :)

Reply to
Matty F

Too right. Been a lot of climate this year in Khazakstan...wheat futures through the roof.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

few inches of snow.Trouble was, the sun came out and softened it a bit than the night frost turned it into near ice. It was impossible to drive across established ruts on untreated roads and I got my car stuck and that was on the South coast close to the Isle of Wight. All the way home that night, I kept pushing the outside temperature button on the climate control panel just to see if the outside temp had gone below zero C.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

smirk - you have to press a button?!?!

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yes, otherwise it tells what temp I have set for the interior. It does have a frost warning symbol that comes on at zero degrees C.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My TVR has a frost warning symbol that comes on at random. :o(

Reply to
Huge