USB chargers

How much difference will it make to mix and match my USB chargers?

Some are rated 1A and others as low as 0.1A.

Can I just leave the 1A one in the socket and plug whichever USB lead and device I want into it without worry?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yep.

USB on a computer usually puts out either 500mA or 100mA, with the device "selecting". If you've got an unpowered hub, it's 100mA max. Stuff like USB-powered scanners or HDDs needs more. Some phones need more to charge.

Reply to
Adrian

I would have thought so (although I'm not 100% sure I understood the question).

Reply to
Mr. Benn

I think it refers to wall warts that have a USB socket, rather than charging from a USB host.

They are all 5V so it's fine.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It is about the wall mart type chargers. One came with the digital camera, another with the sat nav another with the video camera etc.

I just want to laeve the latst one plugged into the wall socket and change USB leads as and when needed.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yeah, just pick the beefiest out of the lot (e.g. newer phones can suck up to 1000mA from a suitable charger, using "signalling" resistors between the pins to indicate htis) and you should be fine, saves keeping a whole row of wall warts warm.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Be careful with ones for mobile phones. Before signalling resistors were introduced to the USB spec, some of these generated 5.5V to signal to the phone that they had high current availability so the phone knew it could charge at 1A or more. A standard USB outlet is 100mA/500mA max and 5.25V max, and if charged from that, the phone reduces its current draw to standard USB levels. The 5.5V phone adapters are over the max USB spec and could in theory cause problems if used to power other USB devices not designed for it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel