Rotten wood on garage

Garage is brick built single garage with a single pitched (17.5deg) tiled roof. Looking at the front of the garage, there is a garage door, then a chunky beam above that, then some studwork faced with cladding forming the gable, and then the roof. The beam is rotten at the eaves end, and bricked in at the ridge end, which means even if I can get it out, getting a new one in could be nigh on impossible.

The beam is 10x2, and I can't see why it needs to be so big to support a bit of cladding. The roof seems amply supported by the rafters, though admittedly with a two inch overhang on the final rafter at the gable verge (the studwork obviously fills the gap).

If the beam really needs to be that big, I need to figure out how to replace it. There is a lot of rot at the end. But if it doesn't, then I'm very tempted to use wood hardener and whatever else (there are woodworm holes too). I could redesign the studwork to effectively sister the final rafter without centre loading the beam. Does this seem reasonable, and if so, what's good to use on rotten wood with only partial access to the rotten area?

Reply to
Nutkey

Sorry. 8"x3", and 3" overhang.

Reply to