Cold Garage Conversion

Hi,

We've moved into a house where the garage has been converted into an extra room and have noticed that it is distinctly colder than the rest of the house (especially this winter!!). The room has a good sized raditator but this doesn't seem to make much impact. I'm presuming that as it was once a garage it probably doesn't have any insulation in the external walls, does anyone have any relatively easy measures that could warm it up a a bit (we've already bought a fan heater), is this a regular thing with garage conversions?

Cheers

Reply to
Endulini

Dry line the walls, and if possible, the floor. You should already know what to do with the roof.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've a feeling they already are, certainly sounds hollow enough when you tap it...

Reply to
Endulini

Ah, but is it insulated?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When was the conversion done, and is there any evidence that the appropriate building regs were complied with?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Was the garage integral with the house or just adjoining. You find that the outside wall is only single brick eg no vavity wall. This is what happened to my neighbour.

Alan R

Reply to
Roberts

The basic answer is to add insulation (or more). Dry lining is the usual way. You may already have the plasterbord lining etc, but no insulation behind.

Taking it down and adding a rigid PIR foam board, or using a foam backed plasterboard would be one fix.

Not if they are done now, and with building control oversight. They need to be pretty close to new build standards or as close as you can get without going to silly lengths.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have seen that done before on an integral garage. The garage door was bricked up with a single skin on the outside with just studwork and plasterboard with no insulation internally.

The OP needs an IR thermometer to find the cold spots.

Reply to
ARWadsworth